Your method of fishing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
On Youtube it appears that for fishing there are mostly videos of fishing from boats. Next are the videos showing fishing from a kayak. Then come the videos showing bank fishing.

Which type of fishing do you guys prefer?

Do you fish rivers, lakes, ponds, the ocean, or other bodies of water?

Do you concentrate on bass, trout, catfish, panfish, pike/muskie, or whatever is biting?

Thanks!

When I was a kid, we fished the creeks. Chicken liver for catfish, grasshoppers in the late summer/fall for smallmouth bass.

Sometime in the early 1980's I started tournament bass fishing with IL Bass. It was a great experience. Even went to central FL. Liked running around on the Ohio, Illinois, and Mississippi Rivers.

I really do not know how people afford to do that today.

Went up to town to run a couple of errands this morning. Stopped at Scheel's for fun. Geez Louise! Prices are outrageous. Good I didn't really need anything. I'm going to have to watch Wally World for sales.

I've accepted the fact that I'm going to stick to bank fishing which is fine. I'd like to skim the ponds and lakes with a kayak but those days may be gone. I suspected that might be the case last year so instead of a kayak I bought a Gorilla Cart wagon for hauling my gear and a folding chair. That will work. 😀

Most fun for me was for big Halibut in the waters off Ketchikan, Alaska…where I lived for 8 years. First you hook ‘em then you shoot ‘em. It starts out with bouncing herring things off the bottom as you drift across pinnacles. I also like drifting one or two salmon eggs with a split shot down a gentle shallow stream for trout. Great for kids.

I used to enjoy UK sea fishing from the shore but that has become tedious now owing to over-fishing. Fly fishing is my absolute favourite, l like seeking out the bits of a river that are little more than streams. There’s no better camping breakfast than a plate of small trout & a big mug of coffee followed by a pipe of Balkan blend.

Mostly by wading small rivers and creeks and fishing the dark green / blue holes under rocks or tree roots for black perch aka redeye. Used crawfish for bait, and sometimes artificial lures with plastic crawfish on a light rod and reel.

Ocean, from the bank. Usually small stuff like flounder & spot. Sometimes inlet fishing for drum. When I was in my 20s it was King and shark. Some crazy times with sharks.

I grew up fishing the Gasconade River in Missouri. Beautiful and winding gravel bottomed river. In some spots you could float for 50 miles on the river and only have traveled 5 miles in a straight line from put in point to take out point. I used to wade the river near the camp gounds during the day and Dad and I would run trot lines at night with a camp fire on the bank of the gravel bar waiting for us with a pot of coffee. Great times!

I'm a noodler. No, I'm really not, but I do like to sometimes watch them noodle. I grew up by a smaller creek with giant catfish and carp, and they freak me out. When they're pulling 60-100LB catfish with just their hands, I'm dumfounded. I've never liked fish, even as a kid and fishsticks were one of the school cafeteria's biggest days. How rotting fish smells is exactly how it all tastes to me. Doesn't matter what type of fish or how it is prepared. I wish it wasn't so though. When I used to backcountry backpack a lot, I wished I liked fish so I could catch my food rather than carry it on my back. I'd starve in a fish-eating culture. I'd rather eat the bugs.

Teenage years I use to fly fish for trout and bank fish on the lake for bass. Now a days I do a November run to Cape Lookout and surf fish for Red Drum. Really enjoy camping out there out of the truck.
1679624997866.png

I’m a worn wiggler off the end of my dock once in awhile. In the summer we have tournament anglers ranging from regionals, collage championship to pro series. We had Bassmaster Elite and the top FLW series guys fishing our pool out back. It’s amazing to watch these guys work. They are at home on the deck of a boat.

I'm a noodler. No, I'm really not, but I do like to sometimes watch them noodle. I grew up by a smaller creek with giant catfish and carp, and they freak me out. When they're pulling 60-100LB catfish with just their hands, I'm dumfounded. I've never liked fish, even as a kid and fishsticks were one of the school cafeteria's biggest days. How rotting fish smells is exactly how it all tastes to me. Doesn't matter what type of fish or how it is prepared. I wish it wasn't so though. When I used to backcountry backpack a lot, I wished I liked fish so I could catch my food rather than carry it on my back. I'd starve in a fish-eating culture. I'd rather eat the bugs.
See, Zeno, all you have to do is eat the salt-water bugs. Then, you're fancy. Lobster and crab fetch high prices! :giggle: