your opinion on filtered pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
noticed pipes for sale using 9mm filters, mostly from germany. Does this cut down on flavor? Any advantages? Any opinions?

I never really noticed a filter having much affect on flavor. I don't care for them only because I like to be able to get a cleaner through the pipe. :pipe:

Any filter changes the air-draw somewhat, though how much obviously varies by pipe and smoker. The health bonus of a filter is pretty minimal for a pipe; the perk is preventing bite and/or gurgle to some extent.

The Savinelli balsa inserts work pretty well for me, but I don't like how that little residue-soaked sponge is sitting in my shank until the pipe is cool enough to take apart. I don't care for paper filters, esp. the thought of all that dioxin-bleached paper so close to a heat source. European pipes with the meer or charcoal filters, I don't mind the idea, but I have no personal experience. In theory, they're made of the same material inside your pipe, so the flavor alteration should be minimal.

Long story short, even if the effect is psychosomatic, if filters are going to change your smoking experience for the worse, why bother?

I have several Vauen pipes from Germany that use the 9mm Dr. Perl filter. They have a activated charcoal filter and the regular ones using what they call "filter paper". I like to use them when I am smoking some of the "wetter" aromatics. I really haven't noticed any change in taste when using the filters, but they do give a dryer smoke with less gurgle IMHO. I like the Dr. Perl filters a little better than the Savinelli balsa filters only because they don't get as gunky and are easier to remove/replace.

I believe some of the European mixtures are made for filtered pipes and do better with a 9mm filter.I know they don't admit this on any mixture tin,but it's my opinion and there have been threads on this subject on ASP in the past.

Winslow

I find that the 9mm pipes smoke just as well without the filter. I have a couple that smoke very well. I usually take them apart once they cool down for cleaning because just running a cleaner through the larger diameter doesn't really clean them effectively.

Good topic,

Being a Dr. Grabow nut, I began using the filters. Proably wouldnt use them on Good Good tobacco, it might just sand off an "edge" thats better left there.

I have noticed (among Grabow collectors http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/index.php) that we started out throwing them out, and now that were older We're using them.

I agree with the above about not being able to pass a filter though. Thats a bit of a let down and I think the pipes need MORE cleaning afyou don't use the filter the smoke as a result. Even more so if you don't use the filter. If DON'T use the filter, the draw is sublime.

Tom

Afternoon All, Must be like having a tampon in the pipe! :tongue: Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

I own and smoke several (with the 9mm "European" type carbon filter) so obviously like them, (yes, I'm a barbarian!). Regarding passing a pipe cleaner through them, as the filters need to dry out between uses, I remove them once the pipe has cooled. I can get at least two and sometimes three uses out of each one, depending on how big the bowl is and what I've smoked in it, (OK, so I'm a cheap barbarian!). I would not recommend leaving them in the pipe, once smoked, for extended periods, but that's just my experience. Even if you use them just once, I'd take them out when the pipe is cool. But then, I "break down" all my pipes, regardless of type, between smokes to let them air out. I haven't noticed any of the bits loosening up, and perhaps over decades of use they might, but at my age and health, (and the fact that SWMBO has recently taken out several large life insurance policies on me :suspect: ) I'm probably not going to live long enough to find out.

I also use the Savinelli balsa filters in the 9mm pipes, and they filter the smoke much less than the carbon filters do, but really keep the moisture level down, which I like. I find them best with the straight Va's and lighter Va flakes. Depending on what tobacco I'm smoking and how I feel at the moment, I may use either of the 9mm filter types in the pipes, smoke my Kirstens, smoke a MM cob (with the 6mm paper filter in it) or smoke one of my non-filter pipes. They all have their advantages and nuances. Love the variety and choices we have.

My recommendation is to buy several, try them, and if you don't like them, sell them to me really cheap! :mrgreen:

Natch

I have a Dr. Grabow, a Savinelli, and two Stanwells that take filters. I tried using the paper filter in the Dr. Grabow and the balsa filter in the Savinelli and didn't like smoking with a filter. I've never used the filters in the Stanwells. I prefer to not use the filters in any of the pipes, but that's just my preference. Give them a try, you might like using them. If you don't, you can always smoke the pipe without a filter.

LtMac

I've never owned a Savinelli with the balsa filter arrangement. How do they smoke with the converter tube or with nothing? Does that create a gurgle in the filter space or funky air flow?

Smoke_House":022gjbks said:
I've never owned a Savinelli with the balsa filter arrangement. How do they smoke with the converter tube or with nothing? Does that create a gurgle in the filter space or funky air flow?

I have three Savs that take the filter. I used the balsa filter a few times, but I really don't care for them (filters period). One has the tube and the other two don't. I can't see any difference. I am a picky about cleaning these three after every smoke though.

A friend informed me that a non filtered pipe will dry out when resting, but a filter holds the moisture inside the pipe. Is this the reason behind pulling the filter after every smoke? Is there a concern of bacteria, or other problem, or just the point of maintaining a clean pipe.

Yes, the filters get pretty wet, so I recommend drying them out, if you're going to use them more than once (and some don't). But either way, get them out as soon as the pipe cools down.

Natch

I have noticed:

Using a filtered pipe without the filter is best left to bents. I've had some bad experience "sucking ash" with the straight pipes. :shock:

I have found cleaner a filter pipe is more difficult which is a bit counter intuitive....

And, if like Ken said its the equivelant of using a a TAMPON in da pipe, then I'd go with the paper or wood! But serioously, yes the balsa filters work and you get more of the tobacco flavor as the more of "Absorbers" than "filters"

Regardless,

Enjoy!

Tom