Your Thoughts on Pipe Racks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought............

To keep a low profile, you might want to consider have the back half of the cabinet inset into the wall. This is super easy. You can make the cabinet, use a sheetrock knife to cut the drywall out next to a stud the size of the box. Then inset the back half of the cabinet into the cavity and put a couple of screws through the side of the cabinet against the stud. The idea is similar to how recessed medicine cabinets are installed. You could use glass for the panel of the door part, and if you went really crazy, use 1/4 inch tempered Plexiglas for the shelves, so as not to obscure your view of the contents......

I sketched something up while I'm cooling off. Here's a picky............

Hopefully it's comprehensible............

Thanks, Wiz.

Your sketch is very understandable.

I just did the "knock" test on the wall where I might mount the rack and, of course, there is a stud in the way. It could still be done if I wanted to open up the wall a bit and put in a header (it's a load-bearing wall on a lower-level of the house).

Putting it INTO the wall is an interesting idea. What's more, there is a 110 line pretty close. So, if I used glass shelves I might be able to do some thing interesting to light my pretties.

The open tin of PA was a nice touch! :D

Yours,
--DAL

Some interesting ideas guys. Unfortunatly I've been kinda lax with my racks. I just have a 24 pipe round as well as two 24 straight racks and the rest of my pipes reside either on top of my desk or in two drawers in the desk. What I would like really is the type of racks as Georg Simenon used but I've never seen them offered by anyone so they probably would have to be custom made. Here's a pic of him with his racks. :twisted:

monbla256":7scs67fm said:
Some interesting ideas guys. Unfortunatly I've been kinda lax with my racks. I just have a 24 pipe round as well as two 24 straight racks and the rest of my pipes reside either on top of my desk or in two drawers in the desk. What I would like really is the type of racks as Georg Simenon used but I've never seen them offered by anyone so they probably would have to be custom made. Here's a pic of him with his racks.  :twisted:

You know, I hang most of my pipes like that. They rotate to shelves like that and as I need room for freshly smoked ones I move them from the racks to wooden boxes. Super easy to make those racks too.