Zippo Pipe Lighters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bronxbill":4gkvdl55 said:
I'm still using the Zippo I carried in Viet Nam in 1967.
Wow! I bet that thing has some memories attached to it. I'd kind of like to see a photo of it if you don't mind sharing.

bronxbill":a8p5j0uc said:
I'm still using the Zippo I carried in Viet Nam in 1967. Other than usual upkeep; flint, wick etc it has never failed me. I don't use a pipe insert, and have no trouble lighting a pipe
I might try one without the pipe insert.

The pipe lighter insert allows you to rest the lighter against the top of the bowl. No scorched rims. Having said that I find it's better just to use the tip of the flame to light with - especially flakes. I have four (don't ask) of them. Great lighters. My local B&M carries the inserts. I swop them out when they start looking a bit ropey.

For a long time I used a slim line Zippo almost exclusively because of its smaller flame and size. Works well outside too except in strong winds. I still have two of them and occasionally use one. Since getting an Old boy several years ago, I use it almost all the time now.

Jim

I think I'll try a Zippo while my Old Boy is being repaired again.

While I love the Old Boy when it works on occasion, the one I bought about a year ago (the new series--supposedly better interior parts) has been a disaster. It won't hold a charge, the flame adjustment never works, after filling it hisses until nearly all of the butane is gone, and, when it will ignite is essentially a torch. It looks good, though. :lol:

Justpipes":s72slec4 said:
I regret to say that I have never been able to get use to using a Zippo. I have been using the same Imco pipe lighter for the last 8-10 years with no problems. I sent the Zippo pipe lighter I had to one of the brothers here. Maybe I should revisit them. I always felt like I had to draw too hard to get a good light with the lighter with the pipe insert.
Keeping the lighter on the full side helps the flame reach into the bowl better. Use caution about overfilling and putting in pocket of levis, or any pants. Especially if you carry your unit to that side. :no: Get a hell of a chemical burn. I learned about that right after takeoff sittin in the door of a helicopter in the AF. It was a long and painfull Op :cry:

EJinVA":p10qzu8h said:
bronxbill":p10qzu8h said:
I'm still using the Zippo I carried in Viet Nam in 1967.
Wow! I bet that thing has some memories attached to it. I'd kind of like to see a photo of it if you don't mind sharing.
There's some interesting examples on eBay if you search "Zippo Vietnam" (Probably some fakes, too, like anything else...)

My estimated use is:
Zippo pipe lighter 80%
Bic type butane---10%
matches-----------10%
All around I like the Zippo best but use butanes sometimes when traveling and wood matches with some flakes when at home.

LtMac":8c9r4gpr said:
Any truth to this?
Yep, its true. I've sent for the replacement. They change it out and send the original insert and a few flints back with the lighter.

Here's a hint: I collect Zippos with Sheriff's stars on them. If I buy a new or customized Zippo and want the pipe insert, I'll send in a plain older one for the insert exchange and swap the insert when it returns to me. That way I don't have to worry about a more valued lighter getting lost in the mail.

LtMac
I'm resurrecting a dead thread because this was actually one of the top hits when I was searching Google for info on how to do this. I'd like to swap out my regular zippo insert (which is unused) for the pipe insert, but I can't figure out exactly what to do. There isn't anything on the Zippo website. I sent them an email but I haven't heard back yet. Has anyone done this recently?

Dave_In_Philly":k23aaed7 said:
LtMac":k23aaed7 said:
Any truth to this?
Yep, its true. I've sent for the replacement. They change it out and send the original insert and a few flints back with the lighter.

Here's a hint: I collect Zippos with Sheriff's stars on them. If I buy a new or customized Zippo and want the pipe insert, I'll send in a plain older one for the insert exchange and swap the insert when it returns to me. That way I don't have to worry about a more valued lighter getting lost in the mail.

LtMac
I'm resurrecting a dead thread because this was actually one of the top hits when I was searching Google for info on how to do this. I'd like to swap out my regular zippo insert (which is unused) for the pipe insert, but I can't figure out exactly what to do. There isn't anything on the Zippo website. I sent them an email but I haven't heard back yet. Has anyone done this recently?
Just got one back. Here's the email I got from Zippo on what to do:

"Thank you for your recent email. You can return the inserts to our repair department and request they be replaced with a pipe insert.

Place in a padded envelope and be sure to include your name, address, phone number and email address.

Send to Zippo repairs, 1932 Zippo Drive, Bradford, PA 16701."

Hope that helps.

Jack

I did this earlier this year and Zippo turned it around within about 10 days. Sent the original insert back and included a pack of flints.

I use mine almost 100% of the time now.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":h7haiu83 said:
I did this earlier this year and Zippo turned it around within about 10 days. Sent the original insert back and included a pack of flints.

I use mine almost 100% of the time now.

Cheers,

RR
Yep. they did that with mine too. Must be standard operating procedure for them.

I got mine back on Monday. All in all it took about a week, and that's with the Christmas holiday. I couldn't be happier.