Zippo Pipe Lighters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard through the grapevine that if you send Zippo your standard lighter, they will replace the inside with a pipe lighter upon request free of charge.

Any truth to this?

Any truth to this?
Yep, its true. I've sent for the replacement. They change it out and send the original insert and a few flints back with the lighter.

Here's a hint: I collect Zippos with Sheriff's stars on them. If I buy a new or customized Zippo and want the pipe insert, I'll send in a plain older one for the insert exchange and swap the insert when it returns to me. That way I don't have to worry about a more valued lighter getting lost in the mail.

LtMac

Natch":iyierrul said:
Carlos":iyierrul said:
I have a copper one that I like a lot.
Carlos,

I've been looking at the brushed copper Zippo. Do you know if it's a coating or solid copper as the brass is?

Natch
This is solid copper except for the hinge and insert. Also says copper on the bottom. This has a date code of 2003. It was a Malboro packaged issue.

I came across it and could not resist. Me being allergic to some metals and knowing copper was safe, I grabbed it. Nickel will eat holes into me. Nickel is added to stainless to make it strong. I figured the hinge would never get close enough to my skin in a pants pocket, or rub off on my hands enough to bother me.

Oh, a magnet won't stick to it either. But will stick to an insert.

The Zippo I carry all the time was a gift from my grandparents some 20 years ago when I bought my first pipe. I have returned it several times to have the hinge replaced and it always came back with new insides free of charge.

I've already sent one to the factory that I found laying along the road, and they replaced the entire lighter for free. Has to be the best guarantee going.

Don

Does anyone know if they make the pipe-lighter version in the slim? Looking at various web sited it doesn't look like it, but just wondering if anyone know for sure.

Natch

I had no idea you could exchange the inserts. I'll have to contact Zippo and see if they're willing to accommodate Canadian customers...though I can't see why they wouldn't.

I've owned several Zippo lighters over the years, and I've gotta say, they are a company and a product that make me proud to be American! Great product, reasonable price, great service, all what America USED TO stand for. I'm betting that their CEO doesn't make eleventy billion dollars a year either!

kilted1":w5accwoj said:
I've owned several Zippo lighters over the years, and I've gotta say, they are a company and a product that make me proud to be American! Great product, reasonable price, great service, all what America USED TO stand for. I'm betting that their CEO doesn't make eleventy billion dollars a year either!
Yeah, not too many companies that have the guarantee they do and take as much pride in it. My favorite is the one in black matte finish.

I have wondered about the Zippo Pipe Lighter scorching the rim of the pipe.I've
never used one,I use an Old Boy at present.It seems to me that the Zippo flame
would not be that focused.Any comments?

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":wjrdvreo said:

No problem at all, use it just like a match! The pipe inserts make this even easier. Once you light the lighter, some recommend letting it burn for a few seconds to lessen the naptha fumes. The new Zippo Fluid is supposed to be fumeless.

kilted1":33i5p74l said:
Winslow":33i5p74l said:

No problem at all, use it just like a match! The pipe inserts make this even easier. Once you light the lighter, some recommend letting it burn for a few seconds to lessen the naptha fumes. The new Zippo Fluid is supposed to be fumeless.
I have two zippo pipe lighters, that's all I use. They don't scorch around the rim any more than a match would do. The new zippo fluid is mostly free of fumes, I had quit using zippos years ago because of the fumes, till the new stuff came out (in the black can). I actually don't like matches because I always taste them (unless you let it burn down the tip). I also got frustrated trying to light up with a match when there is a slight breeze outside, no problemo with the zippo. I havent tried any other lighters so couldn't compare them to a zip.

I regret to say that I have never been able to get use to using a Zippo. I have been using the same Imco pipe lighter for the last 8-10 years with no problems. I sent the Zippo pipe lighter I had to one of the brothers here. Maybe I should revisit them. I always felt like I had to draw too hard to get a good light with the lighter with the pipe insert.

Justpipes":rfdogn1j said:
I always felt like I had to draw too hard to get a good light with the lighter with the pipe insert.
That is true, it seems to depend on the tobacco your smoking. I have been into Flakes recently and unless you really rub it out and let it dry you do have to do a lot of drawing in to get it lit.

I'm still using the Zippo I carried in Viet Nam in 1967. Other than usual upkeep; flint, wick etc it has never failed me. I don't use a pipe insert, and have no trouble lighting a pipe