Zoom Funeral

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Got an email that a guy I've known for about 35 years succumbed to Covid. When our kids were pre-teen, they were in the same basketball league. He'd been the bureau chief for one of the larger news agencies. During those years, I'd guess he was about 175 lbs. and 5'9". After a divorce, he started gaining weight and didn't stop. When I last saw him, some months before the pandemic, I guess he weighed well over 300 lbs. Everyone, including his adult son and daughter warned him about the danger of his obesity, but he didn't seem to care. Ultimately, he became a prime candidate for Covid death. Zoom funeral Wednesday.

added by edit: I just read that the U.S. has 20% of the world's confirmed Covid cases...wow, 449 confirmed just yesterday in the county in MN where I live.

Last edited:
Sad in many ways.
Nothing seemed to halt his eating to excess. One evening, both he and I were invited to a mutual friend's home for party. There was a beautiful buffet set up, predicated on everyone who came would bring their "specialty" dish. There were about 50 people and I'd guess (rough guess) that each guest brought about 20 servings of their dish. 50 X 20...a thousand servings; so much extra food. The guy who died brought a 50 flat of assorted bakery rolls. From the time he walked in the door to the moment he left, he ate and ate and ate. At one point, as he shoveled into his mouth, I said to him, not in jest, "Mark, are you trying to explode." He just kept eating.