If you had to choose 5 GL Pease blends...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mejoshee

Reaction score
I'm looking here to narrow down from the plethora of offerings. Frankly, I'd probably smoke any and enjoy all, but I'm looking to invest in 5 tins to start in the 8 or 16oz size for longer term.

I have right now 8oz each of Haddo's, Westminster, and Montgomery. The former 2 I'll sit for at least a couple years, patience willing. The latter of which I just picked up aged from '05. However I'm open to getting more if these prove to be recommended as duplicates.

My preferences are towards VA, VAPers, and middleweight range of lat blends, I think, but I would be fine with no lat to something on the lighter side of Westminster, going by reviews and Pease's own description alone.

I've only finally gotten to Pease this past week and Cumberland has tickled my fancy. 'Barc not so much last night, but it was probably in the wrong estate pipe with some ghosting. Other than that I'm open. :!: 

Please enlighten me, o leather-tongues :study:

It's slightly easier to narrow it to five,
since I'm not smoking Latakia these days.
Union Square
Embarcadero
Haddo's
Cairo
Fillmore

I'm also real fond of
Cumberland
JackKnife Plug
Triple Play
Montgomery
Stratford
I loved the Lat blends for a while,
but I suddenly lost my taste for em. :|

He has a really decent Virginia that I enjoy a bunch.  It is Laurel Heights.  It is an honest tobacco smoke.  No cloying sprays like some calling themselves a Virginia.  It isn't like something like C&D's Prairie Wind and those others that seem all about top dressing.  This is good, honest taste promoting the flavors ascribed to Red Virginia. Easy packing ribbon.

Should be a hummer aged. But it also smokes great right out of the shipping container.

sisyphus":z2j9l9z0 said:
Raven's Wing
Abingdon
Westminster
Jackknife Plug
Do you have any Raven's Wing? I would trade the contents of my cellar for half an ounce.

My five (that I've tried):

Odyssey
Maltese Falcon
JKP
Embarcadero
Chelsea Morning

I'm a huge fan of GLP, so five is tough...at the moment, they would be (in no particular order):

-Embarcadero
-Fillmore
-Haddo's
-Piccadilly
-Telegraph Hill

Ask me tomorrow and several of those could be replaced by Maltese Falcon, Laurel Heights, or a handful of others.

Of the 7-8 blends that I have tried so far the ones that really stood out for me were -

Samarra
Haddo's Delight
Meridian
Odyssey

I do enjoy Union Square and Embarcadero as well. I am still trying to find my stride with them.

I'll give an honorable mention to Cumberland. The flavors are quite nice and work really well. Excellent synergy. I am however smoking from a 11 year old tin. For a VA/KY combo, I prefer a flake from a different blender but Cumberland is really good.

It is hard to find GLP blends in canada, outside of the internet of course, so I do not have much experience with his product. That being said, I have tried Union Square and absolutly loved it. Can't wait to get some years on the tins I have in the cellar!!!

Storm_Crow":hhktmdqk said:
Do you have any Raven's Wing? I would trade the contents of my cellar for half an ounce.
about 3/4 of a pound and I'm smoking every shred

I appreciate the comments everyone. It's hard right now for me not to compare apples to oranges, as it were, but I'm trying to get a feel for the right vocabulary and data points on the spectra of each tobacco type in each (popular) blend. In other words, apologies for perhaps oversimplifying things on occasion or making irrelevant connections from blend to blend.

Firstly, I think probably I'll count out Raven's Wing and Renaissance. :( 

How does JKP get tinned for the 8oz size? Does it just go in as a whole brick? :scratch:

As I said, I bought Westminster already, thinking this would be on the upper end of what I'd be comfortable with, so I'm trying to gauge the "extremities" vs. recent memory. In terms of body, burning quality, and VA vs. lat vs. oriental contribution, how would you compare Westminster to something like MM965, which I had last night and is fresh on my mind? Or maybe I'm thinking Meridian? I know 965 has its warts and all and I don't feel the need to be buried with it in my coffin, but I think I like it as a benchmark English so please be level with me and suggest a better-than-comparable MM965-type.

What about Chelsea Morning? What is that comparable to?

Finally, I've not had much experience in the lighter end besides SL and Presby. What fits in down there that is mostly lighter lat/sweet VA English/Balkan?

Also noticed nobody mentioned others like Ashbury, Lombard, or Caravan (I know, not related) which, according to the descriptions, all sound like blends I'd like. Perhaps these are overshadowed by the ones that were mentioned?

sisyphus":e98z412f said:
Storm_Crow":e98z412f said:
about 3/4 of a pound and I'm smoking every shred
Every man has his price. :D 

mejoshee":d3ecqk3q said:
How does JKP get tinned for the 8oz size? Does it just go in as a whole brick? :scratch:

What about Chelsea Morning? What is that comparable to?
Not sure about JKP in 8 OZ. It comes that way? That would be one hell of a brick.

CM is very orientals forward. To me it has a very tea-like quality. I rather do enjoy it in the morning in fact.

The 8oz tin of Triple Play I have was packaged as four 2 oz plugs. I would imagine JKP would be the same.

I'll throw out:

Embarcadero
Maltese Falcon
Abingdon
Westminster &
Odyssey

And if you don't like these, I can easily come up with five more!!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

mejoshee":d2deif5a said:
What fits in down there that is mostly lighter lat/sweet VA English/Balkan?
You might do well to give Piccadilly a try. For me it's a "morning" blend, as it manages to stay very mellow but without being bland. It's got sort of a citrusy sweetness (don't take that the wrong way - it's not like it's topped or cased with orange flavoring or anything, it's a very natural sweetness and it doesn't overpower the blend in any way), you get a nice light, natural VA taste, and the Latakia is present enough that you definitely know its there but no so strong that it dominates the blend. For me, it's no where near enough when I want a real "English/Balkan" blend, but it hits the spot when I'm looking for something light and easy with just a bit of that smokiness...it sounds like it may be worth your while, given what you're looking for.

Mine would be

Embarcadero
Haddo's (I'm glad this one comes in pound containers)
Cairo
Fillmore
JackKnife Plug or Triple Play