No-buff wax

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Been referbing some of my ugly stems, was looking for a wax to use to keep them looking good. I tried ordering some paragon wax from finepipes.com but have not been able to get ahold of them since u placed the order a couple weeks ago. Does anyone know if the Decatur pipe shield no- buff wax works on stems? I don't see why it wouldn't, just wanted to make sure. I have just been using a thin coat of mineral oil for the time being but I think a wax would be a better finish.

I think Renaissance wax is a possibility. Now that Halcyon is no more (I think that is accurate), I should probably be paying more attention to this. I only have around an ounce remaining in my tiny jar. I'd recommend doing a little research before settling on Renaissance, but I swear it was recommended to me by someone. One of those things I didn't note in my mind at the time because I didn't need it right then. If you feel like it, let us know what you decided to use. Oh, and you can readily find Renaissance on ebay, amazon, and elsewhere.

I think Renaissance wax is a possibility. Now that Halcyon is no more (I think that is accurate), I should probably be paying more attention to this. I only have around an ounce remaining in my tiny jar. I'd recommend doing a little research before settling on Renaissance, but I swear it was recommended to me by someone. One of those things I didn't note in my mind at the time because I didn't need it right then. If you feel like it, let us know what you decided to use. Oh, and you can readily find Renaissance on ebay, amazon, and elsewhere.
I use carnuba hard wax applied from my buffing wheel. It won't stop oxidation on vulcanite, but may slow down mouth acids. Be sure to check all waxes for petroleum solvents that might be harmful.

I use Renaissance Wax, and it does a great job... so much so that I sell it. I used to use Halcyon and it works good too. I talked to Sam at Fine Briars about 2 weeks ago, the maker of Halcyon Wax, and he's on a hiatus, but plans to start offering his line of Waxes again in the next few months (mid- 2024). He moved and has to set up his workshop again. Obsidian Oil is good to put on already buffed/shiny stems in order to keep them from oxidizing, and it works well.