1st Snow/Smoke of the Season

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
For the first time in my 50 year old memory, we had measurable snowfall here in Maryland at the end of October. Lots of power outages in the area due to the very wet, heavy snow. I went out and cut some wood for a fire pit that was planned for this evening. I'm not sure that will still go off. All of my trees and bushes needed the snow knocked off since everything still has full foilage/leaves. Hopefully I don't lose anything (50 arbor vitea, four Japanese Maple groomed since seedlings...)
I brought out my trusty Stanwell for some bolster against the cold and wet snow.
Our West Highland is less than pleased.....

We still had roses blooming last week!

Neat! Your dog looks displeased, but you certainly look like a little kid in early winter wonderland!

Yeah, that's not a happy looking doggy! Looks mighty suspicious of all that snow...

With luck, we won't get that stuff here until January :rendeer: Hope that pup doesn't get lost in the snow!

Finally stopped snowing, man was that heavy to push off the driveway. Knocked snow off the bushes several times.
My parants still have no electricity, they're crashing here (Pap is 92). We'll make an adventure of it.
My brother lives near York, PA, sounds like they got a lot more snow further North, so, guess we were lucky.

riff raff":hc67dv4h said:
Finally stopped snowing, man was that heavy to push off the driveway. Knocked snow off the bushes several times.
My parants still have no electricity, they're crashing here (Pap is 92). We'll make an adventure of it.
My brother lives near York, PA, sounds like they got a lot more snow further North, so, guess we were lucky.

92 god bless him, I hand a large branch fall in the back yard and took-out my 10X20
car port frame tonight (uncovered as of yesterday) used for summer shade, to dark to see if
fence is gone with it.
Glade I was not to lazy move bike near the back porch while I was at it.

Looks like more than a foot of snow and still going but slowing, most of the area has no power but mine is still on
flickering all day.

This was noon time;

10-29-13.jpg
[/url][/img]

Boulder":ovtpfuhh said:
Looks like more than a foot of snow and still going but slowing, most of the area has no power but mine is still on
flickering all day.
Wow, we have maybe 4-5". Feel free to keep that extra white stuff up there in NJ!

It might be shaping up to be a weird winter again, a week and a half ago we had temps in the 80s, then snow down to 5000 feet and now its back in the 70s and 80s

HAHAHA, nice pictures Al, we woke up this morning to about a 1/2 inch of snow, not as bad as you guys. Nice looking dog you guys have...cute little guy :D

Very nice, love the pictures.

No smoking for me this weekend, I was on the ambulance throughout the storm. They declared a State of Emergency up in NY - they really weren't prepared for the storm so we were at all hands. I got back here to Philly last night and you could barely tell that it had snowed.

I was surprised to see Harrisburg PA had no snow. Allentown, where I'm working today had about the same as us in Western MD. Now the Poconos just North, I bet they have double.

It's a long story, but I still volunteer in the Town of Spring Valley NY which is about 20 minutes north of Manhattan. We had about 16" of snow on Saturday. We got back to Philly, there was barely any evidence that it had snowed. I didn't have to shovel or anything. My buddy in Syracuse didn't get anything - and they routinely get hammered.

We got slammed. Over a foot. Lost power for 3 days. I was lucky I had a generator, it wasn't that bad except the generator broke down a couple of times for a few hours.
Shoveling this stuff was the worst. Heavy wet snow.

Dave_In_Philly":ljp8prig said:
It's a long story, but I still volunteer in the Town of Spring Valley NY which is about 20 minutes north of Manhattan. We had about 16" of snow on Saturday. We got back to Philly, there was barely any evidence that it had snowed. I didn't have to shovel or anything. My buddy in Syracuse didn't get anything - and they routinely get hammered.
I'm about 20 min north-west from the town of Spring Valley NY near High Point NJ, used to stop and get bagels on 202 near 59 when working in that area (wierd little town).

Boulder":8zddfszg said:
I'm about 20 min north-west from the town of Spring Valley NY near High Point NJ, used to stop and get bagels on 202 near 59 when working in that area (wierd little town).
I work near there, well a little south - in Pearl River. The Pallisades had trees down everywhere. I think it was even closed for a while.