2nd attempt at carving a pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
This is my second pipe to carve, I posted pics of it earlier but i added some rustification to cover up a few flaws and worked on the finish a little bit more. Would like a some critique if you don't mind, and don't worry about offending me say what ya think.

I'd have it in my rack,,,there's a lot going on visually, it looks to be a rather thin pipe(wall thickness maybe 3/16) but you would never know it from the side profile. Your rustication came out well to my eye and doesn't look out of place,,,,a keeper,,,

mark":zkarf047 said:
Your rustication came out well to my eye and doesn't look out of place
I agree, the rustication looks alright. Good job.

Well - if the common procedure is, to take a piece of wood and remove anything that doesn´t look like a pipe, you seem to have a different intention. But I like what I see - nice job.

I was going to do more traditional danish style till I saw all that birdseye on one side . Guess you could call it a battle ax shape with the edge splitting birdseye and flame grain. At least its what I was going for :tongue:

Thanks for the comments you guys are too kind. Does anyone have any idea if there are.safe stains I can.get at homedepot?

i.keenum":48pb6n71 said:
Thanks for the comments you guys are too kind. Does anyone have any idea if there are.safe stains I can.get at homedepot?
I was reading on one of the posts on here about someone using Old English. I always thought it had a pretty color to it so you might look in on that? He said that there is virtually no smell so it sounds like a cool idea to me.

I use Aniline Dyes Alcohol Soluble. Pimo sells some but I get mine from a Luthier supply.

I really like your 2nd pipe.

How did you rusticate, if I may ask?
:sunny:

i would really like some instruction on how to stain to make all that birdseye pop out

i.keenum":xq6h3oxl said:
i would really like some instruction on how to stain to make all that birds eye pop out
I have noticed a lot of variation in the briar as far as how it takes stain. I can tell when I am working it if it is soft or hard. The soft briar tends to really take the stain deep and I have not figured out what extra can be done for it.

The harder briar does not soak the stain up too much and the fist application can be wiped/rubbed with alcohol to expose the harder grain that did not soak the stain. This produces more depth to the grain. There are other 2 stain methods with gentle hand sanding between stain color applications. But it is tough to evenly sand all the contours evenly.

The grain and finish on your second pipe (above) is very appealing to me. The grain of the birds eye has a translucent depth to it.

Congratulations !

that is just a little wax and oil for the color. I like the black and gold contrast stains, but no clue exactly how. I believe the wood is hard because the oil dosn't take the oil very deeply at all compared to the nice red color my first one took on when oiled

20110715091334775.jpg

This is a very hard briar plateau that was stained black, sanded lightly, and stained light brown. As you can see the black penetrated more along the plateau edge.

For now all I'm finishing the pipes.with is chap stick, it has carnuba and beeswax in it so can't bee too far from the right stuff :p Thanks for the advice.