A must-see for anyone who remembers the band...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LL":6xicbbck said:
Before Autotune, before Rap, and before pretty boys who can't play outside a studio (with ghost musicians), there were real bands. Ones that wrote complex & melodic songs that often became classics.

Enjoy:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/220620/yes-acoustic-guaranteed-no-hiss
Anderson's voice has held up amazingly well, and Wakeman is still amazing. A great blast from the past. I've seen them live, and they put ona brilliant show. This reinterpretation of Roundabout, with a shuffle groove, was a bit of a surprise.

A bit nostalgic on this rainy day. I will never forget the girl who first introduced me to Yes and ELP.

And a certain melancholy at seeing the icons of my youth aging so.

Thanks for that LL, certainly a lot of talent in that crew,,,,saw them live twice, both fantastic shows,,,true artists

LL":d6wdpe5m said:
glpease":d6wdpe5m said:
This reinterpretation of Roundabout, with a shuffle groove, was a bit of a surprise.
For you young whippersnappers who know nothing of Prog Rock and might be curious to hear the original (radio) version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byeSPOIffVE&feature=related
Don't forget the often brilliant, fantasy inspired album cover art by Roger Dean. (Some of the later albums were done by Hipgnosis.)

These guys are remarkable, and a lot of their music still has amazing currency. True musicians. Chris Squire is one of the most innovative bassists I've ever heard, and Steve Howe, at his prime, was an amazing guitarist.

I don't want to sound like a geezer. There's plenty of good music still being produced, but the percentage of overly produced rubbish, foisted on the public by media moguls, rather than music producers, is higher than it's ever been, and for the most part, all you need to be successful is a pretty face and Disney (or Sony) in your corner. Talent is often irrelevant. You've always had to look hard to uncover the truly great music in the popular genres, the stuff that would withstand the rigors of time, but today, you need a microscope to find the gems amongst the flood of teen-oriented, mindless rubbish.

I guess I am a geezer.

glpease":anfeclls said:
And a certain melancholy at seeing the icons of my youth aging so.
Ah, but we're aging along with em'!

2 Yes concerts for me.
The pipe I was using at the first one didn't have tobacco in it you can be sure.
All these years later I can still feel the silence that fell in the Coliseum when the last tune of the night was performed.

Near every light went out, a single spot illuminated nothing more than a right hand hovering over the strings of a guitar.

Silence

holding.... wait....

Then those first chords of Roundabout were struck and the place went wild!

Rock N Roll baby, Rock and Roll.

I have pretty much everything they ever released, on vinyl no less.

I am very fond of the pre-Trevor Rabin days ( being a picker myself I can appreciate him but I find that Howe is more interesting)

Favorite lps:

Close to the Edge
Relayer

I was born probably a decade too late because most of my favorites are from that era. Yes (Close to the Edge is my favorite of theirs), Genesis (A Trick of the Tail), King Crimson (Starless and Bible Black - or any of the John Wetton / Bill Bruford era), ELP (Love Beach.....JUST KIDDING!). And of course Zappa (I have a ridiculous catalog of Zappa and couldn't begin to pick a favorite - He is missed).

@ Greg - Roger Dean is brilliant. I am of the LP to CD transition age and to sound cliche, I miss the big album covers. "Dad what's an album?" "Well son you see back in the olden days before MP3's...".

Brandon