Abscence Makes the Tounge Grow Fonder??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
On January 20 I slipped and fell on some ice at work causing me to strain my neck vary badly and receive a mild concussion. Bad stuff. Because of that I was bedridden for three weeks and touch and go for another couple. Don’t get me started on how much of a joke workers comp facilities are.

On to my question. Because of the above situation, I did not smoke a pipe for about a month and several weeks. I had my first one about a week ago and it tasted off. I have had about three bowls of three different blends since then trying to find my rhythm and taste again. Last night had some Chenet’s Cake and it tasted close to normal but I started to get “swimmy” toward the end of the bowl. The swimminess was probably from being unuse to nicotine.

Anyone else have favorite blends taste quite off after an absence from piping? What do you think causes it? I have some ideas but want to tap into the wisdom of the BoB.

I'm not sure I'll ever figure out the factors that go into making blends taste the way they do on a specific day? I have found that after I smoke a pipe or two a day for several months my tastes seem to get "off" and favourite blends start tasting bland. The only way to fix the situation is to take 2 or more days off and let my taste buds recover.  After I start back smoking those first 4 or 5 pipes are usually heavenly. I don't think I've ever taken 6ish weeks off so I'm not sure how that would effect me.

Well I have done 2 breaks in pipe smoking in favor of cigars. This third time around I find myself not a big latakia guy. When I started out with pipes my first loves were nightcap, london mixture, apertif. Second round was FM, FMOTT, FMATP. Now I'm Virgina, VaPer, VaBur and aromatics. I'm a little surprised with myself and not sure what to make of it. Hold on to my lat's in case the taste comes back.

The last time I took a day off from pipe smoking was in 2009 (I think that was the year) when had pneumonia. I am pretty sure I did not smoke at all for two days. I don't remember anything being different when I started back.

I will say I get palate fatigue if I smoke too many lat bombs or something. They just get a little meh after a couple of bowls, and I will start subconsciously puffing trying to get the same flavor out. I will first be aware of this when I start thinking something is smoking hot. I find a couple of bowls of something like Carter Hall will reset the taste buds.

I've come and gone from the pipe many times in the 39 years I've been at this. Every time I return I find my taste resets. The only constant love is nicotine and burley. I've been a lathead, hated lats, a Virginia nut, thought Virginias were just ok....you name it.