Adhesive for cork knockers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenleaf

Reaction score
What do you do when the adhesive wears off those corks? Buy a new one every damn time, even though the old is still good? Super glue won't work for obvious reasons, the glue couldn't be permanent or leave hardened goo on the glass ashtray. I personally use my best ashtray for the knocker, and it appears to be made of more than just glass.

Thanks, any suggestions/theories would be appreciated.

A thin layer of rope caulk might work. Not sure how well it would stick to the cork though

Contact cement?

Place a little on the cork, and a little where you want it to go, let dry for a bit, then put it there. It´ll break before it comes off....

Have you tried double sided tape? There are some that are quite strong and others that are meant for light applications. Not sure how long it'll last but it shouldn't hurt the ashtray.

I use silicone to attach my used *regular* wine corks to my glass pipe ash tray. They work fine & are free, if you or a friend drinks wine. I use screws on my wooden ash trays. I cut the head off the screw & twist 'em into the wood ash tray. A broken drill bit would also work. I twist 'em in the hole that is 'lready in the cork, left from the cork screw. These wine corks also fit perfectly in candle holders.

I roughed-up a center section of an ashtray with some 200 grit and used a tiny spot of Gorilla Glue--hasn't failed me yet. I, too, use regular bottle corks, I just modify champagne corks.

There's a candle adhesive (to make candles stay in place) that might work and won't mar glass. It's cheap and can be found at party supply stores.

Auto RTV seems to hold well, I always have a few tubes of that in various colors/temp grades. So far, I haven't lost a cork and sometimes I carry my garage ashtrys by the cork (I'm not sure that is smart....)

What, all you gearheads, hillbillies and survivalists haven't mentioned JB-Weld yet? :lol:

You guys are way too high-tech for me. I used my hi-temp Hot Glue gun and it's still holding fine. No fuss, no mess (other than a few strings), and won't mar or stain the glass.

If I really wanted it to be a permanent application, i'd use a High-Strength Epoxy.

Hey, I only marred the glass because it was a $1.00 1970's thrift store ashtray with a chip out of it. :lol: Makin' me feel like I'm gonna get the "Tobacciana Cruelty Prevention Team" called on me. 8) :p

Wasn't pointing at you, Kyle. Just generalizing, that's all. Don't blame you on the $1.00 Ashtray, i'd have done the same thing...

Simple Man":ipvl004k said:
Kyle Weiss":ipvl004k said:
What, all you gearheads, hillbillies and survivalists haven't mentioned JB-Weld yet? :lol:
Duct-tape...
The Handy-Man's Secret Weapon!

I used superglue. Didn't care about the tray, personally.

It's been a year thus far...cork doesn't look like it's going to give out any time soon, so I'm expecting decades of use out of it.