Adviuce on refurbishing a pipe rest

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across a 6-pipe rest/stand at a thrift store recently. THe base and 6 "spoon" type pipe rests are covered with leather, but its literally falling off the spoons. I'd like to recover/refurbish it to use with my growing collection of estate pipes.

My first inclination is to polish the spoons and use them like that - I think "silver" spoons on a leather-wrapped base would look good, but I've peeled the old covering off all the parts and am not sure if the spoons will polish well.

Any ideas/suggestions for materials to use on the spoons that will be safe for a pipe to sit on? A spray=on coating would be easy, but not sure there's a suitable product out there.

Are the metal spoons fixed to the base? Or can they be removed and worked on individually?

A couple of photos would really help to determine what you're up against.

One thing to consider is friction. The leather not only was a soft, protective surface for the pipes to rest on but it also prevents the pipe from easily slipping and potentially falling and being damaged...or broken. Polished metal would look cool, but might pose the above kind of risk.

Something to consider.

It is likely that the spoons would be made of pot metal, which will not polish. You could paint them a flat or glossy black?

Thanks gents. Here's a few snaps of the "spoons". I've removed them from the base (simple bolts) and stripped the old leather coverings off - the ones that hadn't fallen off anyway.

I'm wondering if PlastiDip would work? I could clean the spoons with alcohol and then spray on a few coats? It would provide a smooth, soft layer for the pipe to rest on instead of the raw cast metal. Just wondering about any potential chemical interactions with the briar/wax/etc?

I'm guessing those are cast pot metal. The brownish rust colored patches here and there are leather residue? If it's rust...that might indicate ferrous content. Whatever.

Trying to polish those and buff them would likely entail HOURS of sanding, buffing, etc. Best to avoid it.

Dipping it in the plasti-sol (or whichever) liquid plastic stuff would probably work. I've used that to dip knives in to create a handle it worked really well. Sand off as much gunk as possible to clean the metal prior to dipping. Prior to dipping degrease the metal with 100% pure Acetone on a clean rag.

Mask off the area of the post you want to keep uncoated by wrapping with multiple wraps of masking tape. Cut into the coating with a razor blade, etc. at the level of where it needs to be...etc., etc.

PRACTICE the dipping with a piece of metal similar to your metal spoons so you get a feel for how the goop dries...remember, it runs and puddles til it sets. Get a good feel for it prior to the actual event.

PS: 100% Pure Acetone is available cheap in the nail polish section of a good cosmetic department. A 24 - 32 oz bottle should cost well under $5.00 and will last a long, long time. Watch out...nasty fumes!!!

Good luck. I hope you show us the end result.

Blackhorse - thanks for the step by step! I will definitely post results. I'm hoping to make several one-pipe rests to gift to my brothers along with restored estate pipes - all in honour of Feb 20th's International Pipe Smoking Day :D My sisters-in-law may stop talking to me, but .... :lol:

Richard - I had considered recovering with leather, but haven't been able to source anything thin enough. The leather that came off was only about the thickness of a postcard.

I was also thinking Plasti-dip, I can't see that causing any issues. I can't wait to see the restored piece.

I finally got the pipe rest "spoons" PlastiDipped, and so far I'm pleased with the results. I sanded them all down with a sanding pad, and then wiped them with acetone to make sure they were as clean as could be before spraying. Here they are after a few coats:

And the finished spoons after 4 coats. I have 6 of these altogether.

Now to get to work on the bases!

Yep, that is handsome! And, the plasti-dip should protect the briar nicely as well.

Thanks gents. They look and feel like new. First time using PlastiDip so I wasn't sure what to expect but I like it :)

Working now on base ideas. I'm aiming for 4 single-pipe stands and maybe one 2-pipe stand. Something "executive desk set"- ish. Will post more as the project advances.

Those wouldn't look to shabby on plexi blocks. Kinda like those old single pen holders. Remember those?

juanmedusa":zrla7rni said:
Those wouldn't look to shabby on plexi blocks. Kinda like those old single pen holders. Remember those?
Now that's an interesting idea, Juan. I was thinking about maybe using marble, but I bet I could get heftier squares of plexi for less. Time to go shopping!

Sid.Stavros":77r5yssk said:
ontariopiper":77r5yssk said:
and then wiped them with acetone to make sure they were as clean as could be before spraying.
Great looking result! By the way you use acetone for nails which has some additives and oil in or pure acetone?
Hi Sid. For this project I used pure acetone. I didn't want anything lrft on the pieces when I sprayed them.