All Change!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandadp

Reaction score
Recent events have forced me to sit myself down and assess my life.

My sister died suddenly a couple of weeks ago. We weren’t that close, she was ten years older than me and left home when I was 8 and then emigrated to Toronto. Her death was, however, still quite a shock. She had been retired for three years (she didn’t retire until she was 68).

I have osteoarthritis in both hips and it has been getting more painful in recent months. I now rely on a walking stick to get around. My doctor won’t refer me for a hip replacement until I lose a significant amount of weight (a work in progress).

I am becoming less and less enthusiastic about my work. I work in IT and recent changes have led me to believe that quality and reliability are no longer amongst our management’s priorities and have been replaced by the speed of delivery and a reduction in clerical staff, something that I just can’t buy into.

Having written down the above factors the decision I made looks far more obvious than it did when I was mulling it over in my mind.

The decision - I am retiring at the end of this month.  Previously I hadn’t intended to retire for a least a couple more years so I haven’t made any plans on how to keep myself occupied in the future but I’m sure I’ll come up with something  :)

One thing is for sure, I will be spending more time on BoB than I presently do – you have been warned  :)

Adam

Glad you have the option to retire! (I wish I could!) I hope you enjoy your time, and it'll good to see you around more

Sorry for the loss of your sister, even though you were not close it's a difficult time right now in your life. Since my Mom passed away 3 years ago I don't talk with my siblings. Have 3 and was very close to 2 of them. I wish them well in life and definitely want them happy and healthy. After the stunt they pulled concerning my Mom, I'm permanently done with them!
As far as your decision to retire and why, don't blame you one bit, I would have done the same. Now get yourself a hobby and enjoy life, and more of the BoB. Make yourself a few pipes, I did. All the best and be well.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Sorry for your loss brother.... i think you have the right path picked out though.... life is too damn short.  Enjoy it ....

Sad news indeed mate. And you'll be the best judge of how it must be in this most introspective period of your life. And if you don't mind my posting, I've had another long-time Brit mate made the very difficult decision to move on after some 30 yrs in the NHS.

He's of a similar age to you, and fortunately had the blessing of the governing bodies to approve his voluntary early retirement. It took a few years.So he got a pretty reasonable separation package, IMO. And he's happy as well with that aspect of it.

The main thing is that his dedication to the cause and the principles of positive social work, which was once well funded and well thought out turned out to be the opposite after 30 yrs experience.

What was once all about the client, was now about the infamous "bottom line" and what it meant one's budget and how managing that budget would mean at one's next annual evaluation, where a compensation increase would be also considered according to projected costs/earnings.

Dunno if any of this applies to your situation mate. Equally, it's a glimpse into the reality instead of what might be commonly held as truth.

Go in Peace Adam, and foot forward....that's my motto!

;)

Cheers,

RR

It is a loss for us all when any of us go beyond the pale. Like having a library burn to the ground. I will light a candle for you both.

Sounds like you are faced with your next great adventure! Where you will no longer be faced with what has become the mundane existence of one performing their social duties and constant compromise.

May the Earth rise to your feet, your pint always full and the wind at your back! It will be good to see more of you here....

I'll be keeping your family in my thoughts with the recent loss of your sister. I have some close family friends who are grieving the loss of the family matriarch, who by any measure in comparison to her husband was the "healthier" of the two. In speaking with her husband, he can't understand why he has outlived her - how she could die so suddenly, and for many years before this it was him with the bulk of medical problems. Unfortunately death is not rational, it follows no rules. A reminder that life is fragile and we need to cherish the time we have, and the people we have.

And congratulations on your decision to retire! May you be blessed with the opportunity to do all of the things that work has prevented you from doing in the past. My father recently spent 6 weeks off work after knee surgery and was going crazy just sitting at home... and yet just a few weeks ago he mentioned that he can't wait to retire in a few years. I said "Oh yea? What will you do when you retire?" He really didn't know what he would do... but he doesn't smoke a pipe so maybe I should get him one as a retirement gift.

I'm sorry for your loss..As for your pain I understand it well. I've had a shoulder an a hip replaced. I've done very well with both.That horrible pain that I had before is gone.Once you get it done you will feel much better.Good luck in losing the weight. Carbs and Sugar are the bad guys.

Truly regret the loss of your sister, but more than happy with your retirement news :D Enjoy this next life phase!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Hey Adam,

Sorry to learn of your sister mate. Always tough losing one of the family, even if time and distance had separated you. They're still family.

As for your retirement, good for you! I really am made up for you. Why sweat it out getting all frustrated when you can abandon ship respectfully? There's nothing worse than harbouring negative feelings for longer periods of time.

So! I can see you sat on your favourite bench on the Hoe keeping an eye on the horizon with your blend of preference drifting off on the breeze, and an Ivor Dewdney special in your belly. Or perhaps a little outing onto the Moor, a cream tea at Widecombe. Cripes, the world is your lobster.... wish I was there with you!

Adam my friend, I'm sorry to hear of your health problems but, obviously the death of your sister has widen your vision for the future and that's a good thing. We need you to stick around as long as you can sir.

If ya need a hobby to keep ya busy I got a whole bunch I ain't using anymore. ;)

Alan, I'm sorry for your recent loss. It's never easy to lose family even if you aren't close. I wish you luck on your retirement and getting your medical issues straightened out. Stay busy and enjoy yourself.

Jim