American "Scotch" Snuff

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
Do you snuffers have any experience with American-made nasal snuff? My general impression from reading reviews is it's fine-ground, drier, and stronger compared with European snuffs. Any favorite brands/stuff to avoid at all costs?

(I'm keen to try some, and the price is very right, but the "small" bottles are four times the volume of the European portions... don't want to be saddled with a blend I dislike.)

American dried snuff is formulated for oral use,it will burn the hell out
of your nose.Way back when it was considered "British" to sniff snuff,so
in America [circa 1770]it was used orally and compounded for the mouth.

Winslow :sunny:

Neat--thanks for the info.

Not something I'm going to try in that case, at least not any time soon. Nasal snuff and pipes and cigars are enough to keep me busy.

Here's some more trivia;The British House of Lords has a big common snuffbox for the members.
The Thames river used to be so foul [circa 1700] that a rose perfumed snuff was favored by the Lords
to overcome the stench of the river.The snuffbox was destroyed by German bombs during the "Blitz".
Sir Winston Churchill paid to replace the snuffbox which is still filled regularly with "Attar of Roses" snuff.
I am pretty sure the U.S.Senate and/or House of Reps has a snuffbox also that is kept full but rarely
used nowadays.

I've taken Levi Garrett snuff, which is indeed sold as an oral snuff. I was told that it could be used as a nasal snuff, however.

It is very strong. Stronger than any SP toasted I've ever tried. If you are going to snort it, it's going to kill you.

Taken very gently in the nostrils it is bracing and a real eye-opener! It clears the passages as nothing else I know. Just sniff a small pinch gently !

I regularly use this type of snuff both orally and through the nose when I can't smoke my pipe. It is an eye opener for sure, but it tastes great and gives as great nic fix. If you want to try it, Rooster is the best straight scotch snuff, and Garrett and Dental are both decent. Sweet snuffs are not very good to me and taste terrible unless you like sugar. Navy brand or anything made by Swisher has a sweet taste and none of the scotch qualities. It's worth a try, and if you don't like it, it makes wonderful ant poison, LOL. No, it really does! All the tobacco companies sell all their tobacco that has been taken back from stores to pest control suppliers.

Cool stuff...it seems like there's a bunch of neat history to accompany snuff taking. I remember hearing a Napoleon quote somewhere about snuff being essential for the diplomat because he can use it to buy time, but I can't track it down.

I used to belong to a nasal snuff forum years ago.I have a wealth
of useless information I will diseminate in the future to liven the threads.

tabatiere.jpg