An Old Friend came home today !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
In '69 when I was attending the Univ. of S. Vietnam, I bought a watch from a chopper pilot that was going home and wanted some cash to take with him. It was a Glycine Airman 24 hour watch which I wore while attending the University and for years after I got home. Since we went by 24 hour time in the Marines, it was PERFECT for me!! Freaked out civilians when I got home and they asked what time it was !! :twisted:  Last year i decided to get it cleaned up and basicaly restored and sent it off to Jack Alexyon @ International Watch Works up in N/Carolina. 10 months later it shows up via Fed Ex at my door this afternoon !! I had him put it on a nice black 'Gator strap w/deployant clasp as it deserved something better than the black nylon DOD strap I wore it on in '69!! I set the current time here and set the red hand for Seattle time where my daughter lives and set the date, gave it some shakes to get it going, it's an automatic mechanical watch, and strapped it on and it's on my left wrist as I type !! It's one of only three things I kept from then and it feels good to have an old friend home at last !! Here's Jack's pic of it and how it looks now after he's worked on it. For those who are price nosey, I could have bought probably 3 Growley pipes for what the resto job cost but for me it is PRICELESS !! :twisted: :twisted:

What a fantastic story and a wicked cool watch! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thank you for your service as well Michael, so glad you made it back.

That would be totally confusing for me because the hour angles are visually off. 8:07PM looks like 10:07 spatially. I'd be late everywhere! But it's a seriously cool keepsake!!

MisterE":4ga6jq6o said:
That would be totally confusing for me because the hour angles are visually off. 8:07PM looks like 10:07 spatially. I'd be late everywhere! But it's a seriously cool keepsake!!
Once you get used to 24 hour time it works just fine !! :twisted: :twisted:  What really throws folks off is how you read the second time zone which is in 24 hour format as well, It's done withe the red hand and the outer bezel !! :twisted: :twisted: Remember there is NO 8:07 PM! It's 2007 PM !! :twisted: :twisted:

That is awesome. I can see why you would treasure that watch. Good move on the strap, understated elegance!

monbla256":o0z5rxz8 said:
MisterE":o0z5rxz8 said:
Once you get used to 24 hour time it works just fine !! :twisted: :twisted:  What really throws folks off is how you read the second time zone which is in 24 hour format as well, It's done withe the red hand and the outer bezel !! :twisted: :twisted: Remember there is NO 8:07 PM! It's 2007 PM !! :twisted: :twisted:
No, I get the 2400 time schedule just fine, it's what we use down here. I'm just saying that the angles are different since the small hand moves at half speed. Just a glance at the watch, and one would say it's a little past ten (2200) instead of 8 (2000). Confusing until you get used to it is all I was saying.

MisterE":awse4wj5 said:
monbla256":awse4wj5 said:
MisterE":awse4wj5 said:
No, I get the 2400 time schedule just fine, it's what we use down here. I'm just saying that the angles are different since the small hand moves at half speed. Just a glance at the watch, and one would say it's a little past ten (2200) instead of 8 (2000). Confusing until you get used to it is all I was saying.
OK I see what you mean. :)  Funny thing, I've not worn this watch in probably 10 years and certainly not used Zulu time since I last wore it and since I put it back on this afternoon it's like it's totaly normal!! I guess it's the old riding a bicycle thing !! :twisted: :twisted: BTW I thought they now used a 24 hour clock down your way, hell most of the world does these days !! :twisted: :twisted: Just like we're still measuring in inches and fractions !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Absolutely gorgeous Michael. That looks like it just came out of the box. I have always wanted a Glycine. Great story and history that goes with that piece. Enjoy! :cheers:

AWESOME watch Monbla. The only time I use military time is on alarm clocks, because I can never seem to set the correct a.m. or p.m. What a fantastic keepsake. :cheers: :cheers:

Monbla Sir, I would suggest that is more of a timepiece than a watch. Lovely to see and a great story to match. Having a mechanical timepiece (rather than a quartz) surely has to be one of life's simple yet great pleasures. I'm delighted for you old chap.

Nice looking timepiece Michael. And the backstory that goes with it makes it all the more special. Looks like it's been with you though some difficult times and has plenty of history to tell. Wear it in good health!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR