Antique Mall Finds - Six Pipes, Part II

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would follow up my previous post with the results of the cleanup of the pipes.

Now, there are several sites that give tips on pipe restoration, and I assure you I ignored most of their advice. I had 5 pipes to clean up, and I was in a hurry, so shortcuts were taken.

Step 1: Scraped each pipe out with the reamer blade on my Czech tool. Normal enough; I just wanted to make the next step go faster and smoother.

Step 2: Dremel the Ever Livin' Crud out of the bowls. I went all the way down to fresh wood, with a sander bit that was about 4 grit. It was pretty much just a rock spinning on a stick. ;-)

Step 3: Fill the bowls with salt and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I did this twice; once overnight, and the second time for just while we were in church. I also had thrice folded pipe cleaners stuck into the stummels to soak up the yuck out of there. Changed those several times as well. It was very yuk.

Step 4: Cut the stinger off the Kaywoodie, as there was no way in heck I was going to get the insides clean. Good thing I just ordered a few bundles of pipe cleaners from P&C the other week - I used about two-thirds of them!

Step 5: Took the pipes to the sink and started doing some concentrated cleaning. This involved a lot of running water, 800 grit sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease. I think this is the part that would have made a lot of pipe collectors cringe. I showed no mercy, and just sanded everything off that I could until they were all smooth and as stain-free as possible. Sanded the insides of the bowls as best as I could too. Aside from the rusticated pipes, all the glossy finishes are gone! And to me, they look great.

Step 6: A final pipe-cleaner job on everything. Ruined a dozen more just trying to get everything to come out pearly white.

Step 7: Polished everything with Vernax

Step 8: All pipe components rest for a few hours in front of the dehumidifier. At least one stem wouldn't go back in, so I figured they were swelled up from their bath. It worked.

Thanks for coming along on this journey. I wasn't as careful as most people would have been, but all I really cared about was that the pipes were clean, and looked better than they did when I got them. Mission accomplished.

Below was taken after the 800 grit sanding.

20230723_163000.jpg

The stems are still foggy after sanding. Final polishing helped a bit.
20230723_163008.jpg

This is the Peter Kent. This and the Kaywoodie are my favorites, so far.
20230723_195854.jpg20230723_195934.jpg

The Kaywoodie
20230723_200020.jpg20230723_200027.jpg

The Mastersen
20230723_195951.jpg20230723_195957.jpg

The Jost
20230723_200040.jpg20230723_200045.jpg

The Darby (with broken lip). Put a rubber protector on. I didn't even bother to cut it off.
20230723_200058.jpg20230723_200107.jpg
Dog snout free of charge

A man after my own heart, I know the feeling of working on a dark spot with sandpaper. Also, I've got a few estates coming in this week, I'll try the salt and alcohol in the bowl. Have to read up on that first.

I thought I would follow up my previous post with the results of the cleanup of the pipes.

Now, there are several sites that give tips on pipe restoration, and I assure you I ignored most of their advice. I had 5 pipes to clean up, and I was in a hurry, so shortcuts were taken.

Step 1: Scraped each pipe out with the reamer blade on my Czech tool. Normal enough; I just wanted to make the next step go faster and smoother.

Step 2: Dremel the Ever Livin' Crud out of the bowls. I went all the way down to fresh wood, with a sander bit that was about 4 grit. It was pretty much just a rock spinning on a stick. ;-)

Step 3: Fill the bowls with salt and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I did this twice; once overnight, and the second time for just while we were in church. I also had thrice folded pipe cleaners stuck into the stummels to soak up the yuck out of there. Changed those several times as well. It was very yuk.

Step 4: Cut the stinger off the Kaywoodie, as there was no way in heck I was going to get the insides clean. Good thing I just ordered a few bundles of pipe cleaners from P&C the other week - I used about two-thirds of them!

Step 5: Took the pipes to the sink and started doing some concentrated cleaning. This involved a lot of running water, 800 grit sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease. I think this is the part that would have made a lot of pipe collectors cringe. I showed no mercy, and just sanded everything off that I could until they were all smooth and as stain-free as possible. Sanded the insides of the bowls as best as I could too. Aside from the rusticated pipes, all the glossy finishes are gone! And to me, they look great.

Step 6: A final pipe-cleaner job on everything. Ruined a dozen more just trying to get everything to come out pearly white.

Step 7: Polished everything with Vernax

Step 8: All pipe components rest for a few hours in front of the dehumidifier. At least one stem wouldn't go back in, so I figured they were swelled up from their bath. It worked.

Thanks for coming along on this journey. I wasn't as careful as most people would have been, but all I really cared about was that the pipes were clean, and looked better than they did when I got them. Mission accomplished.

Below was taken after the 800 grit sanding.

View attachment 11511

The stems are still foggy after sanding. Final polishing helped a bit.
View attachment 11512

This is the Peter Kent. This and the Kaywoodie are my favorites, so far.
View attachment 11513View attachment 11514

The Kaywoodie
View attachment 11515View attachment 11516

The Mastersen
View attachment 11517View attachment 11518

The Jost
View attachment 11519View attachment 11520

The Darby (with broken lip). Put a rubber protector on. I didn't even bother to cut it off.
View attachment 11521View attachment 11522
Dog snout free of charge
That Kaywoodie looks like a prince shape. Is there a number on the opposite shank side from the name?