Anyone familiar with EOTech sights?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Opinions?,,,advantages/ disadvantages?,,,,dot size/brightness?,,,battery life?,,, (on a picatinny rail with quick detach mount) I'm wondering about the zero repeatability with removal/remount,,,,unit sizes,,,

So I had a 3 paragraph response typed out, & my crappy little laptop decided to close the page on me... So in summary:

Basically, some impressions I have regarding the EOtech based upon using it on my work guns:

EOtech Pros:
Multiple recticle choices- find the one that suits you or your shooting style. (& I believe they are between 4 - 6 MOA)
Battery life- the model I have uses lithium camera batteries, has very long life, I still replace batteries prior to every mission due to habit though, so don't know the max on them.
Night vision compatibility- not sure if the civilian models offer this, but mine has an infrared rectical so that I can use them in conjunction with my night vision monocular with zero trace light.
Weight- the EOtech weighs a bit more than the M64 V4, but less than some other optics sets I've used. The weight is negligible when compared to the benefits of using this optic.
Size- its wider & taller than the M-150 ACOG or M68 Aimpoint, but once again, well worth the extra centimeter.
Waterproof- (not sure if the civilian model is as well)

To be fair, I do use the EOtech in conjunction with a PEQ-15 infrared laser, EOtech 3x magnifier on a swivel mount quick release switch, Night Vision, & a surefire 927 infrared floodlight. This combination allows me full darkness (no moon or starlight) vision, rapid target aquisition (inside 75 meters without the magnifier, up to 300 meters with magnifier), the ability to place a 2 centimeter dot on a target with no light to actually alert the target, & sub 1" groups at 100 meters (weapon depending).

Now regarding your desire to use a quick detach mount, my initial question is Why? Don't really understand the desire to remove a zeroed sight from a weapon. I do have some long guns that I detach scopes from for shipping purposes, but I also have the ability to go to the range any day of the week & rezero. Even on my home guns, which aren't nearly so specialized as my work guns, I dedicate an optics system to a weapon permenantly. My aquisition of the 3x magnifier stemmed from my unwillingness to dedicate my M-4 to a sub 125 meter range. Now I can pop the magnifier on/off with the push of a button, or even just swivel it out of my way for close shots. Works great, eliminates the need for switching optics.

On the other hand, there are tricks I have learned to assist with rapidly rezeroing a weapon that you must frequently remove the optics from, & would be more than happy to get into that, but just curious as to your purpose. Basically, what do you plan on using this weapon platform for?

Would like to caveat my previous post by stating that I am military (1st Infantry Division- Light Infantry), not some crazy or gear collector (not that guns make you crazy, but I imagine the night vision & military only gear would definately meet that criteria).

Stackle2":sh0tbdn2 said:
Would like to caveat my previous post by stating that I am military (1st Infantry Division- Light Infantry), not some crazy or gear collector (not that guns make you crazy, but I imagine the night vision & military only gear would definately meet that criteria).
...which, had I any experience with EOTech, probably would have been my tinfoil hat raving lunacy in text form. 8) I don't have any experience with them because skulking around in the dark with them (or night vision) to blow up tannerite-filled pumpkins is just unsporting, no matter who you are.

I'm either deer hunting in close quarters, 20-60 yards,,,,OR fairly open hardwoods edging small fields 50-125 yards. The iron sights work for tight shots using a ghost ring, (my eyes aren't what they used to be) but not for the longer ranges. Getting on target up close quickly is a must and the EOTech solves the problem better than an EER scope. I'm not familiar with the sight and I'm wondering if it's suitable to cover the 20 to 125 yard ranges that I'm hunting.

mark":kkqq0zc3 said:
I'm either deer hunting in close quarters, 20-60 yards,,,,OR fairly open hardwoods edging small fields 50-125 yards. The iron sights work for tight shots using a ghost ring, (my eyes aren't what they used to be) but not for the longer ranges. Getting on target up close quickly is a must and the EOTech solves the problem better than an EER scope. I'm not familiar with the sight and I'm wondering if it's suitable to cover the 20 to 125 yard ranges that I'm hunting.
In that case, its excellent for your purposes. I would highly suggest it. I use an M-4 for brush hunting whitetails in WV, & the wide field of view combined with a high contrast recticle would be excellent from 25 - 100 meters. Much over that, & I would recommend using a magnifier as well.

http://www.cgwgun.com/EOTech-3x-Flip-To-Side-Magnifier__G23-FTS.aspx

I have an EOtech on my Bushy M4...I love it, however I have 1 gripe with it. This may also affect you if you say your sight is worsening. My sight is not exactly top notch either, I don't wear glasses unless I'm night driving but I probably should, anyways here's my problem.

The reticle in the EOtech is a holograph projected onto the glass of the sight. The holograph is made of many tiny red dots that are projected onto the glass in the shape of a reticle. I find that if I'm wearing my glasses this reticle is very well defined and sharp, however, if I am not the reticle becomes very blurry. Now you would think thats totally normal...guy with bad sight sees better with glasses than without, but the problem is the degree to that it becomes blurry. For some reason the red dot pattern affects my bad sight more than normal. Iron sights do not become as blurry to me without my glasses on.

I don't know if your sight will affect the reticle sharpness in the same way, but I recommend not ordering one before you get a chance to seehow it looks to you without your glasses on if you wear them.

Other than that the EOTech is perfect for your application, you may even want to use one at 20-60 yards.....sight aquisition is super fast with these things, no lining up front and rear, just put the dot where you want the bullet to go and squeeze.

Thanks for the information guys. This sight looks like it'll solve the problem of quick aquisition @ 20 yards and still have the capability of longer shots of around 100 yds or so. As far as eyesight goes, iron sights are slightly fuzzy with or without glasses for me, so I don't feel comfortable taking a shot much over 50-60 yds using them. I hate thowing lead and not being confident it's on target. I'll have to find a local dealer and take a look. From what you guys said it's a great system and should help me for short and long shots. Thanks again guys.

Boxerbuddy- Do you use reflex sights with both eyes open? I have an issue with minor blurring with one eye shut, not so much with both eyes open.

Kyle Weiss said:
Stackle2":3gpenh5s said:
I don't have any experience with them because skulking around in the dark with them (or night vision) to blow up tannerite-filled pumpkins is just unsporting, no matter who you are.
Sounds like you're having more fun than I am. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on some tannerite and a few boxes of ammo.

I looked at the EO tech 512 which is the cheap one out there but talked to several guys in the office and went with the Aimpoint PRO. One of the issues with the EO techs on the low end is supposedly a wondering zero. I have not ran one so I cant vouch for it but the Aimpoint is rock solid equipment and the batteries hardly need changing due to the LED technology.
food for thought

The EOTech didn't work for me. The dot was blurry like Boxerbuddy mentioned. I contacted the Leupold custom shop and ordered a scout scope a few weeks ago and ordered the Warne QD rings yesterday. I considered the Aimpoint but there were none available in any shops around here to check out.

Scout scope is a good way to go. I went with Aimpoint because of the battery life and ruggedness. The Pro is an awesome buy right now at 399.99 and all it comes with. 3 year battery life and the QRP mount which is solid and preset on the sight. On my carbine its a good match.