Anyone play "World of Tanks" the free to play PC tank game?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLFman

Reaction score
It is a free to play tank game with tanks from pre-wwII to Korean war with most of it focused on WWII era tank designs and experimental proto type designs.

http://worldoftanks.com/

Most of it is broken into American, French, Russian and German tech trees. The designers take the real world stats of tanks like as armor thickness, angle armor, and other engineering designs and incorporate it into the game. It is not 100% accurate but accurate enough to be fun for history nerds.

British and Japanese tech trees will be coming soon.

I am part of the 1st Cav. clan if anyone is interested.

I really did not expect to have two of my vices mesh like this. :)
WoT is the *only* video game I play, and I frequently play it with either my bent or my churchwarden in my mouth. (clenching the bent while at the desk, or the churchwarden while laying on the couch and playing. I used to smoke a billiard while at the desk, but the angling just didn't work enough for my liking.)
I was just going through my day off work routine of playing a few rounds of tanks and then checking the forums while smoking a bowl of Erinmore Flake in the bent when I saw your post.
What username do you go by in game? perhaps we have seen each other in a match. (mine is the same as on here, 'Black97'. won't say that I'm good at the game, after all, I am not a gamer, but I'm not bad either.)

Cheers
- Jef

Yes indeed, fear my art. Never was much good at the TDs or Heavies, but put me in a scout or artillery and let slip the dogs of war. I've been alpha testing world of warplanes for about a year for them as well, keep an eye on it, its going to be very good.

I cant get past the tutorial. I keep getting shot. My tanks are so wimpy that it's pretty much over after two hits.

Do you just have to hide until the battle is over or something?

I will have to take over the gaming computer and check it out. It only supports Windows and I am normally on a Mac.

MisterE":b5kztw3t said:
I cant get past the tutorial. I keep getting shot. My tanks are so wimpy that it's pretty much over after two hits.

Do you just have to hide until the battle is over or something?
:)

No, not really. Hiding doesn't help unless its situational, like if you are on the front line waiting in ambush. It's a different kind of game than usual really, it is it's own genre. It's a bit like a tactical first person shooter, but with a tank not a soldier. As you start, you are in the worst armoured, worst equipped tanks, so you have to hold back, wait in ambush, or follow the heavier tanks and shoot their target. If you go charging out, you will die very fast, as the entire front line sees you and goes for an easy kill. Try positioning yourself so only a small amount of your tank is visible to the enemy position, and wherever possible shoot the enemy in the rear or side, armour on the rear and side is dramatically lower than the front and top, and give you a much better chance of doing damage. Armour penetration is realisticly simulated, so shooting armour at a sloped angle will mean your shell has to penetrate more steel than if it hit at a 90° angle as demonstrated in this effective armour example.

effectivearmourthicknes.png

The worst thing you can do is shoot a tank in the front armour or on its turret, that's where its armour is heaviest (depending on nation and tank, this varies). If you face a tank that completely outclasses you, try to get away. If you cant get away, aim for its tracks and attempt to disable it, and pray that something heavy or artillery is also tracking that target. Conversely, always try to leave your opponent no choice but to shoot you in the front or turret, maximising your defence. Apart from that, just accept that you will die a lot in the begginning, as almost everyone will have tanks with better equipment than yours. But with some time and experience you'll soon be stomping on people :) Before you know it, you'll be getting enough kills to put a smile on your face (and make other gamers cry, which is the main thing).

shot003qq.jpg

J Soshae":b5kztw3t said:
I will have to take over the gaming computer and check it out. It only supports Windows and I am normally on a Mac.
I believe it is available on Mac also.

Greyson":dqnhkbkh said:
J Soshae":dqnhkbkh said:
I believe it is available on Mac also.
That is a negative, Macintosh operating system are not supported, but, if you are feeling adventurous you can get WoT running in WINE under a linux distro.
Although, I'm not sure very many members of the board here use linux.

MisterE,
Try using the MS-1 until you have enough experience banked that you can research and buy the BT-2, it's quite fast, so you can easily flank and shoot other players in the rear, and if you are moving forward with teammates, they can usually peg the other fella in the rear and sides because more often then not the enemy will start turning to engage you (or will sit still and present himself as an open target.)
Good shot placement can make the task of eliminating them effortless. Although, accuracy while flying around the map leaves something to be desired.
Personally, I love the BT-2, and have driven it into more than 400 battles.

I know some of my mac using friends are able to get windows games running via something called a DMZ, I've never looked into it as I've always had a PC, but I know some games allow for workarounds. I have no idea if that is applicable here, just thought I'd mention it.

Edit: Actually I think I got the wrong term there, I think its called Bootcamp.

Very interesting Greyson,
you have my curiosity piqued.
I don't use mac's often anymore, and the four I have left are between 10-20 years old (an old LC [1990], LCII [1992], IIsi [1993] and a ibook G3 [2001])
The term DMZ in computers, typically refers to a DeMarkation/DeMilitarized Zone (name varies depending on who you consult and how old they are, just like the definition of RAID)
which is normally associated with a router, where a certain system (computer/resource) is placed outside the firewall and is not protected.
I'll have to do some looking around to see if it can be done, although I won't be able to test out what I find, since my systems are all a little bit, antiquated.

Greyson":lhzocy2f said:
Edit: Actually I think I got the wrong term there, I think its called Bootcamp.
ah, that would make sense,
Bootcamp is for running a windows install on a apple machine.
to do so, you would need a newer mac running a intel processor.

This game is pretty good. My son and I have been trading out on the gaming computer. He enjoys the artillery. I am in the grind on a M3 Lee. 6000 more xp and I will get my first heavy tank!

Black97":yiba6r8j said:
Leyte":yiba6r8j said:
I am on as well, look up "Leyte"

Gary
Well how did you get your paws on a A-32? :b
You probably already know but if you don't... :)

That was a purchase I made before the game came out of beta, they had a special running on three tiers and this was the smaller tier. It looked like a good time and for sure I have enjoyed that little monster. It's a great scouting tank, runs quick, hits hard and takes some damage.

I have plenty of tanks but I prefer arty, spend most of my time in the American line of artillery pieces and just picked up the M12. I have a bad habbit with tanks and pipes, I can't let go of any of them...

I added you to my friends list so I won't be the only tanker smoking a pipe during battle... :)

Gary

Leyte":uqbydqwv said:
I added you to my friends list so I won't be the only tanker smoking a pipe during battle... :)

Gary
I have a pipe in my mouth almost every single match.
All tonight I've been rotating between my billiards while I play (well, it's morning now, but I still have a few more games in me.)

I have the same problem with both tanks and pipes, I never want to part with any of them either...
(I have 29 garage slots right now)

I added you earlier when I looked you up as well, figured I'd just shoot you a in-game message when I saw you online.

It is nice to have a fellow smoker around in game though, so many of the kids who play assume I'm smoking drugs when I mention my pipe in a match, and it irritates me to no end.

I have not spent any real money yet on this game. We are just grinding up the ladders and selling old tanks to make room for new.

I am currently in a T1 HT which only lacks the the premium engine upgrade. I spent so much time getting to this tank, perhaps I should spend some money to buy garage slots.

J Soshae":dhnpel85 said:
I have not spent any real money yet on this game. We are just grinding up the ladders and selling old tanks to make room for new.

I am currently in a T1 HT which only lacks the the premium engine upgrade. I spent so much time getting to this tank, perhaps I should spend some money to buy garage slots.
If you have the garage space, I recommend unlocking, buying and then keeping the M4 around for a while, it's dandy at making credits, and once you start playing higher tiers a couple of losses can really deplete your credits if you didn't have a scad to begin with. (shells at 1000c +, repairs can get costly with large modules, and the like)

Investing a couple dollars now for garage space is actually good timing, there is a special on this weekend, [http://worldoftanks.com/news/1591-ural-steel-weekend/] and garage spaces are half as much gold as usual. ( 150 instead of 300)

Another option in regards to spending money on the game is to buy a premium tank.
The premium's are not as good as a elited tank of the same tier, and most of them have their own quirks, but they generate more credits and more experience per battle (and, they are collectable :b )

Starting about about 18 hours (roughly) from my writing this, the French Tier 4 artillery (regular 1500 gold) will be on sale in the gift shop through the website, and it's a pretty good deal.

105 leFH18B2 Package "Tank, Garage Slot, Gold, Consumables, Premium Account" for USD 13.29

Tank: 105 leFH18B2
Garage Slot
Large Repair Kits: x5
Strong Coffee: x5
Premium Account: 3 days
With a premium account, you gain 1.5x your regular experience per match, same with credits, so you can climb the ladder a bit faster and try new things. It comes with a slot, so you don't have to get rid of anything when you buy it, the consumables are usable, or can be sold for spare credits if you don't want to rely on them.
The 200 gold can be used during the weekend special to buy another garage slot, but I'd recommend saving it to convert experience off of a elite vehicle later on.

What username do you and your son use in game?
I play a lot of lower tier matches to relax, so there is a chance we've shared a match or even gone head to head against each other.

I will save the M4. If you see a character named "woodrobber" it will probably be my son on artillery. He is currently leveling through the Priest.

J Soshae":gw1c4pyz said:
I will save the M4. If you see a character named "woodrobber" it will probably be my son on artillery. He is currently leveling through the Priest.
Ah, he's pretty good in arty, I'm impressed. (got his stats up right now in-game.)
The M37 and the M7 Priest are both a pain in the rear, he's got dedication to play them, and he plays them well.

If I see him battle I'll send a o7 his way.

Just set a new personal best, I didn't actually get more kills, I drew level with my old record, but the last 6 tanks on the enemy team I faced alone, so when I killed them not only did I get the Top Gun Award, I also got the Kolobanov's Medal for beating vastly superior odds. I know it shouldn't matter, but it makes me happy. My team had given up when it was down to six vs me, and it sounded like they were falling off their chairs as I killed the remaining tanks. One day I'll get 11 kills :)

worldoftanks20130112093.jpg