Barbeque Sauce Taste Test

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting how even the best were just uniformly between okay and pretty good. Makes you wonder what the platonic ideal of BBQ sauce they hold actually is. (It also sounds like they tasted them straight, rather than on grilled and/or barbecued meat, which is unusual methodology.)

I am partial to Athur Bryant's BBQ sauce from Kansas City: http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/index.htm

Whenever I pass through KC, I stock up.

If you have not been to the original Arthur Bryant's place in the old part of KC (1727 Brooklyn Avenue, K.C., MO) and had burnt-ends, you have really missed a treat! It is a perfect BBQ place: not too clean, you get the food at the counter, and the only bread is white bread, but the BBQ brisket is top-notch! Put their brisket on white bread, add their sauce, and it is PERFECT !!

Thought I'd throw this out as I like the KC style sauce.
This is a rich, thick, tomato based barbecue sauce recipe often associated these days as Kansas City Style. You get that traditional combination of sweet with a touch of heat in a dark and thick tomato sauce. Adjust the heat by changing the amount of cayenne.
Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cayenne
Preparation:

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add garlic and sauté until brown. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.

It's outstanding on ribs and pulled pork served Memphis style. I'm the Texas black sheep as brisket is about #4 on the BBQ favorites list.
We blend in chipotle peppers to deepen the smokiness and add a little more heat.