best mid-price 1.75 blended scotch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found a cheap single malt that blows away the best blends, get it at Trader Joe's, a chain grocery store here in California. It's called Finlaggin and is a peated malt that tastes a lot like Lagavulin. $18 a bottle. If I could find a sherried malt of similar quality at that price point I'd be a happy guy. I've just not had much luck enjoying blends, as the grain alchohol taste invariably comes forth and distracts. I find it hard to pay Jonnie Walker prices when you can buy simple, unassuming single malts like Glenlivet or Glenmorangie for close to the same price.

+1 Puff Daddy.
I definitely have to find that at Trader Joes. I don't believe they have a liquor license here in Massachusetts.

In my area stuff like JW Black (much better than Red, imo) is about the same price as what I think is a really good single malt - Glenmorangie. So usually I'd go for that if I'm looking in that lower end priced Scotch range.

If you're only interested in blends, I'd suggest Famous Grouse as the best in the JW Red price range.