Best overall pipe book, best overall pipe tobacco book?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
It has come to my attention that the Internet is almost too expansive as far as opinion and specific knowledge is concerned, not to mention, I like to give my eyes a break and go "old school" with some music and just a good book.

I want to ask, to possibly see if there's a general consensus, about both an excellent book on pipes and an excellent book on pipe tobacco.

Both books need not be "starter" books, but all-inclusive (or most-inclusive) that tend to be either somewhat historical and encyclopedic in nature. I'd like them to be good for both casual, short reads, reference and for information. That is, if such books exist.

I suppose "The Ultimate Book Of..." would be great, should such a thing exist. It's tough to gauge books on Amazon in this fashion as there might be great books, but I don't have a lot of library space to have sixteen different books to accomplish what I'd like.

So, what say you, brothers? What's your favorite pipe/tobacco books?

If you can find it now, to me the best written on the subject is; Pipes and Tobacco by Carl Ehwa Jr.

Plus one on the Ehwa book. I bought my copy for $10 shipped via Amazon.

I also like Hackers books: "Rare Smoke" and "The Ultimate Pipe Book". He is a little opinionated, so beware, but I'm pleased and enjoyed both.

"In Search of Pipe Dreams" by Newcome is also good, $10 delivered as well. It is more a collection of his articles, a little dated, but make for a good read one chapter/article per night.

I also bought, but have not yet read, Alfred Dunhills "The Pipe Book", picked up thru Amazon/Goodwill for $7 delivered.

I love getting a good deal on an interesting book.

Cool. I'll start tracking them down and checking them out...

...by all means, others, please make suggestions or comment on those already-made!

I appreciate it!

I agree: Ehwa's book on pipes...the book that really dragged me into pipes!! There are also some great pipe books in French and German, but they are hard to come by (at least in the U.S.), and tend to be high in cost.

For cigars, a great "oldie but goodie" is Zino Davidoff's book on cigars: "The Connoisseur's Book of the Cigar", published in the late 70's or early 80's. You can find it in used book-stores once in a while. Solid, no nonsense information on cigars; a classic. Not a high cost book.

Guy":qsr6oo24 said:
If you can find it now, to me the best written on the subject is; Pipes and Tobacco by Carl Ehwa Jr.
Totally agree with your statement. The finest Anthology ever written on our favorite subjects of pipes and tobaccos. Every pipe man interested in this hobby should try to acquire a copy of this IMHO. And the color photos are fantastic.

Quick follow-up on the Ehwa book if you are to new to pipes and read this book before “going to Market”, ignore the prices. Factoring in the inflation since the 70’s, the “collectable” factor thanks to such things as Ebay, Antiques Road Show, etc, and the reality that briar is not as plentiful as then you will be beyond disappointed.

Excellent, thank you, all.

Yes, I'd realize quickly the dated material versus the availability, market, prices, etc. Looks like I'm off to Amazon or ABE to go find an Ehwa tome! 8)

As books (and most good things) usually go, this isn't the end, but I decided upon:

(as suggested)

Pipes and Tobacco by Carl Ehwa Jr.

(because I laughed a lot at some of the excerpts)

The Ultimate Pipe Book by Richard Carleton Hacker

I paid under $30 for both shipped to my door! :cheers:

I'll venture out for some other books in my travels, online and in real life. 8) Don't hesitate to suggest more books here. They're books. Like tobacco, good ones don't get thrown out!

Thanks again...

I always say you can never have too many books, knives, guns and tobacco....

riff raff":t19h25pi said:
Living in Manhattan I will go with the Books and Pipes

Guy":bx0cu1ga said:
riff raff":bx0cu1ga said:
Living in Manhattan I will go with the Books and Pipes
And you have to look over your shoulder with the pipe! Such is the world we live in.

riff raff":2d3qkue9 said:
Amen :)

Also, I am about halfway through the Richard Carlton Hacker book, "The Ultimate Pipe Book". It's pretty good.. I appreciate some of the dry humor, too.

Just started flipping through a copy of the Alfred Dunhill... and it looks just as good, but in a different way. The Dunhill book is more focused on this history of the pipe, types of pipes based on geographic location, etc. Still, a good book.

Currently reading Ehwa's book, Hacker's is next on the list. So far, Ehwa's is well-written and has a good timeline/information/history flow to it.

I almost forgot to tell you all I received them, and am enjoying them! It's making me want to experiment and get a clay and a meerschaum pipe right away... :albino:

I just started reading the Dunhill "The Pipe Book" (2nd addition, updated). It's pretty interesting.