Bottom or top of bowl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Jack

Reaction score
Hy’all, I sometimes want to try two types of tobacco. Can’t make up my mind so I’ll fill the bottom with one and the top with the other type. My question is does defeat the purpose as I’ll have one big mixture? I was hoping that I’ll taste the first one on top and then have the second one afterwards but I’m realizing the draw pulls from the top through the bottom, so will pass through the bottom one and pick up some of its taste. Any comments?

Yea I would imagine the top tobacco would taint the bottom one. It may not be a bad thing but I don't think you get a genuine taste of the bottom tobacco.

Yea I would imagine the top tobacco would taint the bottom one. It may not be a bad thing but I don't think you get a genuine taste of the bottom tobacco.
You won’t guess what I put in on the bottom.
Green Dragon😉

Hy’all, I sometimes want to try two types of tobacco. Can’t make up my mind so I’ll fill the bottom with one and the top with the other type. My question is does defeat the purpose as I’ll have one big mixture? I was hoping that I’ll taste the first one on top and then have the second one afterwards but I’m realizing the draw pulls from the top through the bottom, so will pass through the bottom one and pick up some of its taste. Any comments?
I have done this parfait type loading before, don't recall any outsanding negatives, however it is going to taint the lower tobacco. I'd guess using the lesser of one tobacco on the bottom might help. By that, I mean if I wanted some Watch City Stubbs Pipe, I'd load some Prince Albert first, as it is cheaper and I don't mind it becoming all the dottle.

While not a big fan of smoking straight Latalia blends, in winter I do sometimes add some to the top of a bowl of a somewhat neutral blend just for variety. It carries throughout the bowl just enough

While not a big fan of smoking straight Latalia blends, in winter I do sometimes add some to the top of a bowl of a somewhat neutral blend just for variety. It carries throughout the bowl just enough

I can see where you're coming from Doc, I've done similar with subpar Virginia based blends with great outcomes.

You could try that, but with a 2 chambers pipe. Light one up, smoke some, let it go out. Light up second chamber, smoke some, let it go out. Repeat.
You would then get to taste them separately. For a while, at least.

doublefoyer-3670342845.jpg

Last edited: