Bull Dog condundrum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Morning Everyone,

I have a question about packing a bulldog. For some reason I find it more difficult to properly load the tobacco chamber in my newly acquired bulldog. It's a no-name "Made in England" pipe that actually smokes really well. However, I have been in the unfortunate situation where I've gone from packing it too loosely to eventually pushing the tobacco down so firmly that I had to empty and reload from scratch. Is there a trick to loading a bulldog? In the spirit of full disclosure :) I am smoking Rattray's Hal 'O the Wind, which is a nice, thick ribbon.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Martin

I'd imagine it's not so much the pipe but the cut that may be deviling you.
A wide ribbon cut has given me problems in the past. My best success with these is to start with a reasonably loose 3-step fill.
After the initial light and on through the bowl I gradually adjust the firmness of the load with a tamper.

Hope this helps!

For me, every pipe/blend combination is different. I can't use just one rule of thumb for packing any of the bulldogs I like to smoke. Sound advice from Krusty (above), but getting the right feel for certain pipe/blend combo still takes a little playing with, I think.

Harlock999":0q7gciug said:
...but getting the right feel for certain pipe/blend combo still takes a little playing with, I think.
And right there is so much of what makes the use of the briar such fun!

Proper packing requires facing north with the pipe pointed west, 79% humidity with a 3 mph southern breeze, temperature between 69 and 83 degrees F, full moon, clear sky, gas tank full on your vehicle, $12.77 in your pocket, and your neighbor needs to have forgotten to get his mail that day.

One of my pipes is picky too,,I don't understand why,,it's a basket pipe Rhodesian stamped " Made in England",,(conspiracy ?),,,, when I find the right procedure/pressure I make a mental note of it, which I promptly forget,,,,I use the Krusty method and adjust as I go,,,

mark":xs4qysoc said:
Proper packing requires facing north with the pipe pointed west, 79% humidity with a 3 mph southern breeze, temperature between 69 and 83 degrees F, full moon, clear sky, gas tank full on your vehicle, $12.77 in your pocket, and your neighbor needs to have forgotten to get his mail that day.

One of my pipes is picky too,,I don't understand why,,it's a basket pipe Rhodesian stamped " Made in England",,(conspiracy ?),,,, when I find the right procedure/pressure I make a mental note of it, which I promptly forget,,,,I use the Krusty method and adjust as I go,,,
Oh, another one of those 79% humidity guys, hmm!...old school!

Mark":xgi97vqr said:
...I use the Krusty method and adjust as I go,,,
LOL !
I have a method! ROTFL! (-:

Puff Daddy":xgi97vqr said:
Try this (and remember, there's supposed to be an empty space under the plug of tobacco).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6M1KXnd73w
The only things I've had success with using the air-pocket load is fine shag or narrow long ribbon. With those kind of cuts it works extremely well! I do try it occasionally with wider ribbon cuts, one of these days I'll get it to work on those as well.

Well the "Krusty method" is a lot easier to say than "I load the tobacco into the pipe to the best of my ability taking into account the cut of the leaf, dampness of the blend, size and shape of the chamber, while attempting to pack the load to optimum burning capabilities in hopes that all comes out well. When this fails I resort to adjusting the charge gradually using my tamper to minimally compress the tobacco until it responds in a satisfactory manner, repeat as necessary.",,,:shock: