Cake Problem

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipePuffer

Reaction score
I bought an estate GBD pipe on Ebay. The chamber had been reamed (very poorly if you ask me) and upon closer inspection I found a suspicious hole in the cake at the bottom of the chamber. I took it to my B&M to be reamed properly and now we can have a better view of the problem area. The hole is deep enough so that there is probably little or no cake at that spot. I am afraid there is a potential for burnout there. I have been told to apply a dash of honey on that spot and then cover the walls of the chamber with fine ashes. Is that solid advice? What else should I do?

Note: that pipe was sold as clean and "ready to smoke" but it was absolutely filthy. It took a good amount of everclear and about 30 pipe cleaners to clean the shank alone.

Check the hole in the cake with a needle to see if it extends into the briar. Also check the outside of the pipe beneath the hole to see if there is any darkening. Both are signs of burnout. If so, I suggest you try to return it. Either way, the B&M's advice re honey & ash is a good way to build up cake.

Muddler":huhwxkls said:
Check the hole in the cake with a needle to see if it extends into the briar. Also check the outside of the pipe beneath the hole to see if there is any darkening. Both are signs of burnout. If so, I suggest you try to return it. Either way, the B&M's advice re honey & ash is a good way to build up cake.
Thanks Muddler,

Using a needle, I estimated that the hole was about as deep as the thickness of the cake left after reaming. So it doesn't look like the damage extends into the briar, but I do see a bit of bare wood there. The outside is flawless, no darkening.

I purchased a kaywoodie new with a high drawhole. I found that for a quick patch, ash mixed with water (not honey, since the water dries out fast and doesn't melt) works really well.
Either way, it sounds like the briar is sound and you should be good to go. If the cake hole is in the heel, you might want to patch it with pipe mud rather than trying to build it up, because it will act as a moisture sump and not build up well on its own.

emerald":o4uru1b7 said:
I purchased a kaywoodie new with a high drawhole. I found that for a quick patch, ash mixed with water (not honey, since the water dries out fast and doesn't melt) works really well.
Either way, it sounds like the briar is sound and you should be good to go. If the cake hole is in the heel, you might want to patch it with pipe mud rather than trying to build it up, because it will act as a moisture sump and not build up well on its own.
Interesting. I have an older Becker that has a "hole" directly opposite the drawhole, most likely from over zealous pipe cleaner use by the original owner. It's been heavily smoked, and the cake is pretty even, but I've always had an issue with that pipe gurgling...