Calabash pipe developing cracks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SentientRobot

Reaction score
I recently purchased a calabash pipe on ebay (photo) and have been successful at cleaning the stem and bowl to wonderful condition. The gourd itself was very dirty, and I read that one should let everclear soak in its lower part for a time to remove build up. After doing so for an hour and emptying it out, I noticed that the outer part of the gourd has begun to crack slightly (photo) which has me deeply concerned. Did it absorb too much liquid and crack? Or did some alcohol drip on the outside to make a finish crack? Is there something I could do to protect it from further damage (coat it with something perhaps)? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Now that the alcohol has dried the crack has closed up a bit. I think that the moisture caused the gourd to expand. The previous owner never gave it a good clean, so I was forced to drastic measures, but if you have one, a routine quick soak in everclear would probably do no harm.

The cellural composition the gourd vs briar is quite different. Briar being very dense and the gourd being pourous open cell internally. The everclean would dissove the tar build up but may drive it deeper into the cells.

I am unsure of a safe way to clean one that has gone neglected. I recently got a Calabash for a gift and have been trying to find way of cleaning that best preserve the pipe. I enjoy mine and hope to have it for years to come.

I was considering if possibly some type of sealant on the inside could prevent buildup from embedding into the cell structure. Some non toxic and that in to way would taint the tobacco taste.

Hope yours cleaned up well and you are enjoying it. I saw the picture nice pipe indeed. If you find any good info on calabash care share the links.