cellaring question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodLeavesNfire

Reaction score
so i have been slowly building up my cellar and have accumulated approximately 10 pounds.
I have an 8 ounce tin of briar fox that has 6 months of age on it.
if i were to open up the tin, smoke 2 ounces now and stash the remaining 6 ounces, would the aging process continue? would it start all over again?
would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Eyal.

I do not have much personal experience with this, but what I have read and understand it that once the container is opened, the aging process stops. Now you can reseal and put the tobacco away for further aging, but the process will start over again. It will not pick up where it was left when the tin was opened.

yeah, i had a suspicion that was the case. i may just buy another tin to smoke now and keep the 8 ounce tin to age.

Northern Neil":y2kt2dl6 said:
I do not have much personal experience with this, but what I have read and understand it that once the container is opened, the aging process stops. Now you can reseal and put the tobacco away for further aging, but the process will start over again. It will not pick up where it was left when the tin was opened.
That's correct.

I'd open those 8oz tins immediately, and jar them up in 2 oz increments. then you don't have to smoke it up all at once when you do open it finally. 6 months is not a long time to age, so I would go ahead and open yours.