Churls and Fools

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Having spent the last year on another board and then returning to this board, I am struck by one unpleasant fact: every board has boorish members. It doesn’t matter that everyone else is playing nice, these members, to me, although unrepresentative of the general membership, are disturbers of the peace, and I wish I had the power to put them out.

No, because forums are public, you can count on 5% of the membership being jerks.
Now if they would just play away from me, I wouldn’t have this problem; but no, they disrespect my boundaries, and I stumble upon their all too often profane invective,
their churlish views.

The best response, I think, is no response.

alfredo_buscatti":90vjyu0w said:
The best response, I think, is no response.
Indeed. On the boards, as in life, there are always those who "have to be right" and will go to any lengths to make you know it.

Giving those guys free rent in your head ain't worth it....

Too true. There are different sub-varieties of forum trolls. They have one basic thing in common: they hide behind the relative anonymity of internet forums to be much more aggressive and insulting than they would dare in a real-life, face to face encounter. They chafe with longheld feelings of inadequacy and resentment, and they've found a home if you bite. As you say, the best thing one can do is to ignore them and hope for an alert moderator with some backbone and resolve.

I think you gents have it right.

People who feed on attention can only be killed by starvation.

alfredo_buscatti":me70ba3y said:
,,, every board has boorish members. ,,, these members, to me, are disturbers of the peace, and I wish I had the power to put them out. ,,,you can count on 5% of the membership being jerks.,,,The best response, I think, is no response.
I was going to comment but thought better of it,,,,I mean, what if I got no response,,,,

mark":awuy90mt said:
alfredo_buscatti":awuy90mt said:
,,, every board has boorish members. ,,, these members, to me, are disturbers of the peace, and I wish I had the power to put them out. ,,,you can count on 5% of the membership being jerks.,,,The best response, I think, is no response.
I was going to comment but thought better of it,,,,I mean, what if I got no response,,,,
:lol!: :lol!:

I used to frequent a non-pipe related board that I hardly visit now because of all the keyboard warriors. It is a shame because it has the potential to be so much more.

Hey Babysinister, well and everyone else. The Mods and Admins all have lives (well except me) off-line too. If you feel you have found a violation of the rules or something distasteful please send us a pm.

The Team: Doc Manhattan, JHuggett, Puff Daddy, Carlos, and myself.

I'll even add, if you feel one of us is out of line please drop us a pm. Most of this stuff can be worked out if we just figure out where the other guy is coming from. (I said most)

I've always maintained that the best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. Answering their gambits is what feeds their OC behaviour.

I'm a mod on a cigar board and we certainly have our share of these individuals.

Cheers,

RR

MisterE":u8o0zf3a said:
That's a unique way of putting it! I like it!

puros_bran":u8o0zf3a said:
I'll even add, if you feel one of us is out of line please drop us a pm. Most of this stuff can be worked out if we just figure out where the other guy is coming from. (I said most)
In the future I'll try to remember that and send a PM rather than post my thoughts on the board.

Jim

It took me a while to figure out that getting into online shouting matches with people who richly deserved it was about as useful as peeing into the wind. Plus, it made me look about as stupid as the jerk who started it. Now I just mutter, "moron," and move on.

This is originally meant to be about video games, since players can say whatever they want from the safety of their homes without fear of the other guy beating them up, but it applies just as well to forums:

intern12.jpg

From the Penny Arcade store, http://store.penny-arcade.com/products/pat070381

puros_bran":qa0dm2ej said:
Hey Babysinister, well and everyone else. The Mods and Admins all have lives (well except me) off-line too. If you feel you have found a violation of the rules or something distasteful please send us a pm.

The Team: Doc Manhattan, JHuggett, Puff Daddy, Carlos, and myself.

If I understood the original post correctly, the OP was referring to his experience on another board and, since that was the premise of this thread, so was I.

Actually I think he means ALL boards. But that's neither here nor there in what I said.

Was just intended as a Public Announcement that we are here, but we do miss things..
Help us out when you can.

I was a moderator on a board for Australian blue-tongue lizards for quite a few years, and it went from being a community like this one (great people, lots of on-discussion talk, extremely respectful) to running rampant with kids, knowitalls (what I call "expoits") and post-number happy trolls. Same thing happened in a few gun forums I was a part of.

Forums are the endgame hotbed for egos, bad manners, dummies and like the picture said, anonymity turning them into dickheads. Whenever I see the "posting hierarchy" on a forum, I'm leery about joining. So you get special treatment if you just hang around and have no life long enough rather than contribute or become a member of a community and establish yourself? Bah...people and their weak need for what they perceive as power.

Which brings me to why I'm here: I studied it for quite a while, and I knew my instincts were right.

As for the "other 5%," I love what was said earlier:

MisterE":ovqgih38 said:
That could apply to many disagreeable folks.

In short, glad I'm here. 8)