Cigar Aficionado

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just received the new issue in the mail today. Why do I keep on renewing my subscription every year?

All the pretty pictures?

I haven't purchased a CA in quite some time. I thumb through them sometimes at the shop, but that's about it....

petertschantz":5hhsniz3 said:
All the pretty pictures?

I haven't purchased a CA in quite some time. I thumb through them sometimes at the shop, but that's about it....
Ditto. Good to look at while at the news stand, but hardly worth subscribing to. I kind of went off CA after they jacked up the price of "The Big Smoke" and cut back on how many cigars you got from the vendors (Coupon booklets? PUHLEEZE!!!!!!!!)

I also like Cigar Snob & Smoke.........

petertschantz":508xf3kk said:
puros_bran":508xf3kk said:
CA is an awesome golf, watch, international jet set mag...
let's not forget ultra-premium automobiles either!
Lol, I got a deal through a credit card for a year of it, but prior to that I was perfectly happy to flip through them at B&N or a shop. I am a fan of the ultra premium swag, though, but not enough to pay for the magazine.

I tried a free issue deal with them, and there was nothing about it that I liked. I thought the writing wasn't very good and the whole magazine seemed more concerned with being cool than providing solid information. For instance there was an article on their "top car picks" or something and they seemed really stupid. If I want car advice I'm going to talk to car guys, not wannabe billionaires who are basically just bullshitting to fill out the columns. Then there was some article glorifying the "playboy lifestyle" of some texas hold em pro, which sounded like a completely miserable existence. Not for me.

Jack Straw":f5dui65b said:
I tried a free issue deal with them, and there was nothing about it that I liked ... Not for me.
The early issues back in the mid to later 1990s were great. At some point the whole magazine seemed to change totally (I do not recall exactly when).

I still remember seeing my first issue around 1993 or so (wasn't there one with Fidel on the cover?) - pointed out to me by a buddy at a newsstand in downtown Minneapolis we used to frequent because they stocked G.A. Andron Turkish Specials (I do not recall whether or not I bought that issue, but at least by late 1994 was full-swing into the whole cigar thing, and bought every issue right off the rack throughout most of the 1990s).

Wish I would have kept the copies I purchased in the 'boom' days. The ones I am getting now just get tossed in the recycle bin.

Hey without that magazine i would have never known 90k dollar watchs were for telling time. I think Timex is in trouble

When I see this mag laying around at the shop, I go straight for the review section, then put it down.

It was cool when I began smoking cigars, but I quickly realized that my experience was different (often).