Classic Lyrics from a Classic Album

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
'Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow - white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?

Pinprick holes in a colourless sky,
Let insipid figures of light pass by,
The mighty light of ten thousand suns,
Challenges infinity and is soon gone.

Night time, to some a brief interlude,
To others the fear of solitude.
Brave Helios wake up your steads,
Bring the warmth the countryside needs.'

Classic lyrics! They sure don't make music like this anymore.

Anyone remember where these came from?

Group?
Album?
Year?

Plz don't google!

Wasn't it The Moody Blues? I forget the name of the song.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's "The Day Begins" by the Moody Blues.

Kind of trick though...the first few lines of these lyrics do appear at the end of Knights in White Satin, in the form of a spoken (not sung) poem. But in "Knights," the poem ends after the line "...and which is an illusion?"

The full lyrics which Rob posted are found, in their entirety, in "The Day Begins."

Interesting foot note: both songs come from the same concept album, "Days of Future Passed." I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I think the album is from 1966.

Great Job. Glad i'm not the only one who likes this stuff. I love the blend of Orchestra and Rock - done so fluidly and natural sounding.

Correct - the lines are from 'The Day Begins'. The rest of the poem, finished right after 'Nights In White Satin' are a little different and finish the story.

As far as the year, 1967. Same year as 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band', Surrealistic Pillow, Hendrix - Axis, Cream - Disraeli Gears, Grateful Dead's first album, The Doors - The Doors, Pink Floyd's first album, and many other greats from the Psychedelic Era.

Rob_In_MO":m5ptnzyr said:
As far as the year, 1967. Same year as 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band', Surrealistic Pillow, Hendrix - Axis, Cream - Disraeli Gears, Grateful Dead's first album, The Doors - The Doors, Pink Floyd's first album, and many other greats from the Psychedelic Era.

Gah!!! Off by a year.

What a great year that was for music, though. That's a heck of a lineup!