Cleaning the Rim

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody V

Reaction score
So I've been cleaning the rims of my bowls to keep them from blackening. Using either paper towels, of pipe cleaners, whatever is handy. Doing so seems to take all of the wax off. Just curious as to how everyone else keeps their pipes nice and shiny. There has to be a better method

should probably be in techniques, feel free to move it. always forget about the new catagories

As long as the rim isn't too dirty, I just wet my finger with gob and rub the rim. Then I have a can of Briar Pipe Wipe that use to treat a dollar store microfiber cloth. Polishing with that treated cloth keeps my pipes shiny.

I once read someplace that like the old Brillcream commercials state "That a little dab 'll do ya"....spit rubbed with your fingertip. I also rub my rims with a moistened (with water) paper towel at cleaning time.

I wipe the rim off with a moistened cloth,and every ounce in a wile i use either brebbia pipe polish...or denicare pipe polish..keeps them looking pretty good.
I ve also read that polishing the rim with beeswax helps keep it clean and protected...i havent tried it yet though

Ive been thinking of getting some Briar Pipe Wipe. I have brebbia pipe polish, but get less than stellar results. Seem we all do basically the same thing 8)

When I´m disciplined about keeping my rims clean spit and a napkin does the trick. Elbow grease might be neccesary but it works.

When they get bad, a q-tip with just a drop of alcohol will break up the tars and get it loose enough to wipe off. Careful with this as alcohol can take off the stain so just a little.... :face:

I might lick the top of one once in a while and give it a good rub with a cloth. Sometimes I have to lick it a dozen times to loosen up the junk. Or I just don't bother with it. It's just going to tar up again. :)

Just Spit and a clean rag or a q-tip after every smoke, it works great, spit is a natural solvent. I then use my buffer and carnuba wax to polish up the Rim. I don't use wax on any sandblasted pipes because you will never get it out of the little cracks and crevices when it turns white.

Spit on t-shirt, use fingernail to rub damp t-shirt around rim, rub hard.......removes deposits that are totally black. Will not, however remove char.

Tommy":opj30u1u said:
Spit on t-shirt, use fingernail to rub damp t-shirt around rim, rub hard.......removes deposits that are totally black. Will not, however remove char.
:lol: My wife wants to know what all the black marks on my shirts are.

Same as everyone! Would like to add though that I keep myself from cleaning the rims too often. The gunk actually protects the briar from the open flame so having it rubbed down all the time might not be the best idea. Should I ever need to show off one of my pipes I can wipe a bit longer. In any case, that has yet to happen so I opt for my own peace of mind that there is still something shiny under all that gunk and keep it hidden and safe.