CLRV's Cellar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLRV

Reaction score
Hey guys-

So, I am taking the plunge and starting a long term cellar. It's exceptionally small as of right now, only one tin of Frog, but I guess it all starts somewhere, especially on relatively limited funds. I did the "double buy" method, one tin for now, one for 10 years from now.

I figured it would be time to start my cellar thread on here so I can update it as time goes on. One of the things I enjoy most about BoB is watching the development of tastes, styles, and cellars. I'm terribly pleased to be joining this process.

I wrote a long post about it on my blog, but the concluding paragraphs I thought y'all might enjoy:

The reason I wrote this entry is to commemorate the official embarkation of the cellaring project. I ordered my first double order of Frog last night. While the cellar is beginning with one solitary 100g tin of Frog Morton, it will grow slowly and steadily over the next decade of my life. This first tin will be opened on New Years Day of 2021. It'll be smoked in my Peterson Aran 87, which as previously noted, I bought here in Tulsa this month. I'll be 36 years old. The tin will have traveled with me to all the places I have yet to live. It'll have predated me meeting my future wife, having children, the various life events yet to happen. The tin will have aged beautifully, as I hope to do so as well. And when I pop it open, hear that hiss as I inhale the aged delicacy, I will load my pipe and reflect on the decade leading from this moment to that moment.

This is the gift I am giving my future self. It's the gift this passion, this tobacco, is giving to me. I look forward with deep anticipation and excitement, to the gentle contentment yet to come.

Congratulations on starting a cellar! I'm in the same position, having just started my (very, very small) cellar as well. I particularly enjoyed your thoughts on the future, carrying the tobacco with you, like some tiny time capsule. Certainly an excellent way to look at it, and possibly a good motivation to keep it there until your target date.

This thing we do is such a personal journey; a unique and ephemeral mirror that we carry with us. But a journey, I think, ultimately best enjoyed in the company of other like minded folks, even if it's only online. Thanks for sharing the start of yours, and keep us updated.

Good luck on your journey. When it comes to cellaring, we all started somewhere. :cheers:

Ten years? Man, I can't even plan ten days from now. That's an ambitious project, good luck! :cheers:

A brief update to the cellar.

I bought a bunch of tins (listed below) in my buckshot the barn door acquisition on 1/4/11. So, what I'm doing, is mason jarring them tightly (since I wanted to try each) and adding them to the cellar. We'll see whether I am more of a fan in a few months. I've established that my daily smoking tastes lean towards the english, rather than the Va/Vapers. I don't dislike the Vas, just not as obsessed by them. I figure two things: 1, age in tight mason jars can't hurt them and 2, my tastes will probably become more sensitive to the subtle flavors in the Vas over the next few months. I'm still really new to the non aro world. So, here's what's been added to the cellaring process:

1. McClelland X-Mas 2010, 1 100g.
2. Solani ABF and SF, 1 50g and 1 100g respectively.
3. McClelland St. James Woods, 1 50g
4. Rattray's Old Gowrie, 1 100g
5. GLPease Union Square, 1 2 oz
6 Esoterica Pembroke, 1 2oz (yes, this isn't a Vaper, but, I want to see how the flavors merge and mellow out a bit... the conac is quite nice but just a little overbearing at the moment.)

Really not sure how long I'll leave these guys in cellar. What'll probably happen is a random tasting over the months. I know that violates basic aging procedures but I'm less after the perfectly tin aged Va and more seeing a rough progression of taste over a course of a year at most. What I like in the potential for aging I'll start buying more of and do a proper cellaring.

CLRV,

When you open a tin, all the aging (aka, bacteria "eating" the air) stops because the bacteria now has the air it used up. Opening a tin every six months or less would effectively not allow any aging at all.

-Michael.

Maiser":c6yc8say said:
CLRV,

When you open a tin, all the aging (aka, bacteria "eating" the air) stops because the bacteria now has the air it used up. Opening a tin every six months or less would effectively not allow any aging at all.

-Michael.
Thank you- I'm still extremely new to this aging process/concept. So, essentially, I need to leave them closed now for 6+ months or, just buy more and not open them at all (which I'm sure is the answer, lol).

-Charlie

Rattray Old Gowrie... I was planning to buy a few ounces of that. Let me know if you like it or not. I have tried Rattray s Accountant s Mixture and Marlin Flake and they are very good.

About keeping tins in your cellar, my experience is not very positive. If you keep tins for some years, they can get rusty and that is not good for the tobacco inside.

I think you are doing very well with your present stock. If you really like a tobacco blend, buy bulk and keep it in jars.

Congratulations on starting your cellar. It's a smart move. I also started with the buy-two, smoke-one, cellar-one . . . that was over 20 years ago. If I ever went into my cellar for tobacco, I'd smoke the newer stuff and let the older tins continue to age.

When I retired in 2007 I decided it was time to smoke the oldest tobacco first and let the newer stuff get old. So, now I'm enjoying 1999 McClelland Christmas Cheer, some 15 year-old J.J.Fox Banker's, some well-aged Connoisseur Scottish Ribbon, and other blends as well.

I have enough tobacco now so I don't have to buy any for the rest of my life, assuming I live only another 30-40 years. But, sometimes I just have to pick up "just one more tin" of something interesting!

Good luck with your new project.

Rob

Smart thing to do...starting a cellar.  I started out recently with some pounds of 4-Noggins Killington, couple of pounds of Lane 1-Q, some pounds of Brigadier Black Alamo, 6 tins of Christmas Cheer 2013, a couple pounds of 4-Noggins Lord Methley, and numerous other blends/flakes that I find I really enjoy.  The cellar project gives you peace of mind when you see the prices of everything going up.

I believe that when the new healthcare law goes into effect, you will see the taxes on these products quadruple and add that to the new Internet Sales Tax and you have a recipe for some tough times for smokers.

Time to stock up on your favorites!