Dalmore Gran Reserva

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyke Tiler

Reaction score
A cigar malt that has replaced the previous Dalmore 'Cigar Malt' and it's very, very nice.

Myself and my local tobacconist had a great night sampling this with a fine smoke.

6085949924_0ae28b10cc_z.jpg

It wasn't initially what I expected, I assumed that the citrus notes would be very distinct but it was an extremely mild dram, very subtle notes of raisins and a even a little buttery taste.

All in all a very good malt to pair with your favourite tobacco.

I can also recommend these for a good pairing with a smoke:

Glen Elgin 12
Glenkinchie 12
Dalmore 12

If you feeling like really splashing out a Dalmore McKenzie is a superb experience.

All the best

Tomas

Fancy that! I was just sharing some Dalmore with a good friend last night. He's more into the Islays (and so am I) but he keeps a bottle around because it was the favorite whisky of a late colleague of his, and he drinks a toast to that person's memory every year around this time.

I admit that I have eyed the cigar malt in stores in the past, but since I'm not in the habit of drinking anything when I smoke, I've never gone ahead with the purchase.

I am more of an Islay / peaty man myself...Talisker, Laphroig, Ardberg. HOWEVER: The nicest single malt I have had with pipe and cigar is from Speyside: Inchgower. Inchgower is not well known; it is used as a blending component in Bells and Johnnie Walker blends, but on its own as a single malt it has a distinctly salty taste (the distillery is on the coast, which may be the cause??)..........In any case, the salty taste on my palate goes superbly with pipe and cigar. May not be available in North America; the two bottles that I had acquired were obtained in the U.K. and brought back to the U.S. (in the days when one could actually carry bottles of spirits through airport security)....I have about half a bottle left.

I picked up a bottle of Laphroiag Small Cask... you want peaty, you got your peaty.

My girlfriend and I agree it smells like a rich latakia mixture--to my delight and her great dismay.

Doc Manhattan":xy12fi9w said:
I picked up a bottle of Laphroiag Small Cask... you want peaty, you got your peaty.

My girlfriend and I agree it smells like a rich latakia mixture--to my delight and her great dismay.

LOL !!!!!!! Those who do not appreciate Laphroig's "special" characteristics have called it "cough syrup"!! People with such views are DULLARDS (your girlfriend is excluded from such a characterization, of course) LOL !!!!!!!

Enjoyed a few drams of Oban with a pipe last night,while entertaining some friends. Truly pleasurable evening.
I haven't seen the Dalmore Reserve as yet, sounds like I have to go treasure hunting again! Thanks for the info.

NeroWolfe":cdpabzr6 said:
I am more of an Islay / peaty man myself...Talisker, Laphroig, Ardberg. HOWEVER: The nicest single malt I have had with pipe and cigar is from Speyside: Inchgower. Inchgower is not well known; it is used as a blending component in Bells and Johnnie Walker blends, but on its own as a single malt it has a distinctly salty taste (the distillery is on the coast, which may be the cause??)..........In any case, the salty taste on my palate goes superbly with pipe and cigar. May not be available in North America; the two bottles that I had acquired were obtained in the U.K. and brought back to the U.S. (in the days when one could actually carry bottles of spirits through airport security)....I have about half a bottle left.
Me too! Peaty whiskies are among my top favourites, most are from Islay. My palette however finds that a smokey whisky doesn't pair so well with a pipe or cigar. The smokey characteristics tend to cancel each other out and leave me with an odd chemical taste.

Recently though, if I sip anything stronger than a cup of tea along with a pipe, I'll suffer the mother of all tongue bites the following morning. So whiskies are just for cigar smoking currently.

Lagavulin 16 is my absolute favourite peated malt, it has so many fantastic layers but can be pricey, however a Caol Ila 12 is a very good substitute and one you simply must try if you haven't already.

Caol Ila which is pronounced 'KULL EYE-LAH', I found the correction after a Scot found me to be a source of great amusement when I pronounced it the way it is spelt.
Anyway, Caol Ila has that wonderful medicinal, latakia, leathery aroma and it's usually very fairly priced.

4040152056_6d3da79eda.jpg

Anything by Laphroaig is an instant winner, Quarter Cask is a superb malt, Triple Wood has been the only odd one out as it was a little too soft and had next to no smoke.

If your a man after his peat, definitely try a Ledaig (pronounced 'LED-JIG'), don't be deceived by it's pale appearance, it's taste is a very powerful but pleasant, salty, very medicinal, old school corridor, old leather and a forest fires worth of smoke.

4398878194_1f4a929679_z.jpg

I'm very fond of a good small batch or single barrel bourbon. Elijah Craig 12 and 18 usually but we don't get too much choice out here in Helsinki

Plenty more smoke and whisky related eye candy on my personal photo dumping ground, aka flickr

Meanwhile gentlemen - Slainté!

NeroWolfe":bs6hlwoq said:
I am more of an Islay / peaty man myself...Talisker, Laphroig, Ardberg. HOWEVER: The nicest single malt I have had with pipe and cigar is from Speyside: Inchgower. Inchgower is not well known; it is used as a blending component in Bells and Johnnie Walker blends, but on its own as a single malt it has a distinctly salty taste (the distillery is on the coast, which may be the cause??)
Talisker, Laphroaig, Ardbeg...three of my favorites, right there. No Inchgower to be found locally, I'm afraid.

Tyke Tiler":bs6hlwoq said:
Caol Ila which is pronounced 'KULL EYE-LAH', I found that out the correction after a Scot found me to be the source of great amusement after pronouncing it a similar way to how it's spelt.
Anyway, Caol Ila has that wonderful medicinal, latakia, leathery aroma and it's usually very fairly priced.

If your a man after his peat, definitely try a Ledaig (pronounced 'LED-JIG'), don't be deceived by it's pale appearance, it's taste is a very powerful but pleasant, salty, very medicinal, old school corridor, old leather and a forest fires worth of smoke.
No Caol Ila or Ledaig, either, unfortunately. Like Inchgower, Caol Ila finds itself in some Johnnie Walker blends, which is the only way I've had any of it so far.

NicholasDestray":oitrue6q said:
No Caol Ila or Ledaig, either, unfortunately. Like Inchgower, Caol Ila finds itself in some Johnnie Walker blends, which is the only way I've had any of it so far.
This place may ship to you if your in the US - Wine Searcher, run a search for Caol Ila and Lediag. Maybe it will help you locate a store that stocks them.

Let us know if it helps any :)

Tyke Tiler":3g6akbhp said:
This place may ship to you if your in the US - Wine Searcher, run a search for Caol Ila and Lediag. Maybe it will help you locate a store that stocks them.

Let us know if it helps any :)
Much obliged, Tyke! I'll keep that in mind once I make my way through my current stock.

(Hey Tyke, what's the ink on your wrist? We have a few tattoo enthusiasts onboard here!)

Doc Manhattan":iymfdv9j said:
(Hey Tyke, what's the ink on your wrist? We have a few tattoo enthusiasts onboard here!)
Hey, it's a banjo with wings coming from the head stock :) I've been playing guitar for a good while but recently picked up the banjo a few years back :) I should really take a shot of it at some point :S

Nice! If you ever want to show off a pic, there's an old topic on ink:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t9679-ink