Dean Koontz

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
Thought I'd give him a shot...I've been told by a million people that he's like Steven King crossed with James Patterson (that is, King-ish topics but with the pacing - and lack of depth - that Patterson churns out).

I don't know about the comparison, but so far it's ok. Not bad for a "pick it up and read" kind of thing, but not something I'd feel compelled to recommend (but the guy does have a way with metaphor, I'll give him that).

I read A LOT of Koontz in college. I really love his writing. Now I'm going to have to go dig one of his books out and read it.

I'm not a fan of his usual fare (I don't like the genre) but his Dark Rivers of the Heart was one of the most compelling page-turners I've ever read.

He is a puzzler and at times, I don't care at all for his books. Some are very good.
I did enjoy the Frankenstein series (a re-imagining)
Odd Thomas - I didn't get that one
I have "The City" in my Kindle

Buckshot":g66rnik9 said:
I highly recommend the Odd Thomas series.
I totally forgot he wrote Odd Thomas! That was a good one! I used to devour Koontz books in the Marines. They were typically pretty good as far as my memory serves.

I have read a lot of his work, and I think "Intensity" is one of his best "edge of your seat" books.

Buckshot":ozoj5ov5 said:
I highly recommend the Odd Thomas series.
That's exactly where I started. I've about wrapped up the first one and will probably slide right into the next one in the series.

I remember enjoying reading "Watchers," which had some well written gruesome moments. But ridiculous plot of "The Bad Place" with the main character being born of a hermaphroditic mother who impregnated herself, pretty much ruined me on Dean Koontz. I haven't picked up another one of his books since.

DrumsAndBeer":d5nk7vjt said:
I remember enjoying reading "Watchers," which had some well written gruesome moments. But ridiculous plot of "The Bad Place" with the main character being born of a hermaphroditic mother who impregnated herself, pretty much ruined me on Dean Koontz. I haven't picked up another one of his books since.
But at least she knew who the father was. :affraid:

I've read several Koontz books. Although "Innocence" wasn't well received, it is one of my favorites.