Do you any pipes you'll never smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
My late brother-in-law made this for me; he was a maker of knives, jewelry, etc. To my knowledge this is the only pipe he ever made. I had mentioned some antler pipes I'd seen and admired and one day this pipe and stand showed up in the mail. The ones I'd seen were fitted with a briar inner bowl and this one is not; I've never tried to smoke it and doubt I will; it's just a treasured keepsake from a man I loved and miss...

ifp37xrl.jpg

I've heard that antler burns pretty readily but I've never tried. Also I'm not sure how well the dynamics were thought out relevant to actually smoking the pipe. Someone once suggested lining the bowl with a paste of something, sort of like a pressed meerschaum lining. I'm not sure I have the expertise to do that and I don't know where or even if such materials might be available. It'll probably remain a display item.

My favorite Peterson's shape is the 9bc, a chubby bent. I have a few of them. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't resist bidding on one with a badly- and unrepairably-cracked bowl. That's one I'll never smoke.

I have an old London Bobbie Lovat… great looking little pipe. made sometime between 1920-1940. A little hard to date, but it’s a cool little pipe, especially for a 5 dollar antique store find. Just can’t bring myself to smoke it.