Do you usually mix them up or stay with the same tin?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
I'm wondering how most of you smoke. Do you usually stay with the same tin\bag or blend until finished, or perhaps a morning blend and evening blend and that is it, or do you have a bunch open at one time and pick whichever meets your fancy at the moment?

Being primarily a cigar smoker, the latter is how I generally operate. I have a nice variety in my humidor and will grab the one that fits my mood at the time. But I'm wondering if a person would develop a deeper appreciation if they stayed with one tobacco for a while without confusing their palate by switching blends.

I'm sure there are pros and cons to both methods, what is your preference?

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm new to pipes but have a well stocked humi so I'm the same way, i grab what I'm in the mood for. Probably the only con is having enough pipes for all the blends you like to smoke if you're changing every time you smoke to something different you'll have some mixing of flavors from the previous smoke and current smoke. Like tonight, i was kinda in the mood for CAO Cherry Bomb so I'm actually smoking my wife's pipe right now (shhhh... she's as school right now) since that's all that's been smoked in it and my normal pipe has been english blends with heavy latakia so i figured I'll just use the cherry bomb in the "cherry bomb" pipe.

Eric

I know from experience I usually learn to enjoy a blend much more if I deal with it one tin at a time but after my first few initial bouts of TAD I now have like 30 blends open at any given time. All in canning jars of course but I bet you I could smoke for a couple of years and not open another tin. I'm not going to but I could. :lol:

I like choice & I like the variety that having a lot of blends open provides. I still feel I get to know the blends pretty well - OK, certainly those I smoke regularly.

I try to keep my open tins to about 5 at a time; if one's been sitting around long enough to make me worry about it drying out, I'll through it in my roll up pouch and concentrate on finishing it. I probably smoke 3-4 bowls on a good day, so it get consumed pretty quick, and the reward is cracking a new tin or jar of something very different -- for example, I just finished a tin of Billy Budd and have opened some Commonwealth. it makes me appreciate one blend at a time (with the other tins around -- e.g. GLP Cumberland and FVF right now -- for variety.

I have a few favorites that I cellar, but most of the baccy I have, I keep open to feed my cravings.

Since hanging out with Muddler I have adopted the same policy. I do also however try to limit smoking stocks to 5 or 6 blends at a time.
Hanging out with Mudd has made this impossible tho'
I tend to find a new blend that I like and focus on that blend mainly for a day or two to get to know it.
EG.
Just got some C&D Plantation Evening. I really liked it off the bat so I would smoke 3 or 4 bowls of it a day and alternate with the other stuff that is open so typically yesterday I did:

Plantation Eve (new blend I am liking and getting to know)
FVF
Plantation Eve
BBF
Plantation Eve
PA
Plantation Eve
OJK

New (Blue) Smoker":r64ya8cp said:
Rook wat vir jou lekker is
Aaah Blue Smoker nice to see you on the Afrikaans wagon my broer! Well done; Mooi gedoen :cheers:

bluedigital":cgtygxo3 said:
New (Blue) Smoker":cgtygxo3 said:
Rook wat vir jou lekker is
Aaah Blue Smoker nice to see you on the Afrikaans wagon my broer! Well done; Mooi gedoen :cheers:
Dang only noticed that now, thanks for pointing out BD!
Well done there NS!

I am in the learning stage right now testing many blends. Keeping an archive of my favorites which takes time.. I have my morning favorites and my Lazy night flake binges.. I prefer less expensive blends during the work part of the day on the go. But I can see in the future when I have figured out my favorites and order larger supply's of them I will stick with a whole tin or two at a time and savor them until the tin is empty and ready to cellar with a refill of my favorite baccy to age.. So many great blends I was gifted to help with my favorite search.. Making time to enjoy a good pipe smoke is the most important part to me.. Now back outside to watch the storms move through.. :cheers:
Chuck..