Does anyone understand this?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted that on my facebook last week. Pretty cool being I doubt anyone ever did it before... Would have been impossible actually before virtualization because any hardware you were installing those early versions of windows wouldn't support the newer ones.

J hasn't VMWare been around since the mid 90's?

Bub, what don't you understand?

Yeah it's been around a while but still doubt it's been done before. Especially with checking application compatibility with those DOS apps. It was also timely considering what P Diddy just ran into with his iMac's OS version and iTunes.

A long time ago Vito and I were discussing the difference in OS architectures between the *Nix and Windows and I was trying to point out that Windows did have an advantage in design for this kind of thing. I did a poor job at explaining my side, this video would have helped. :lol:

I don't know whether to be happy or depressed.

I've not only installed all of those os's but remember doing each one as well as playing doom.

ME was awful, but Microsoft Bob could make a man despair. It was technically bad, it looked worse (using Comic Sans as the system display font) and worst, the punishment that the project manager got for this turkey was... Demoted? Fired? Nope, she got to marry the world's richest man.

I should've said, "richest man at the time." (Even then, that might've been the Sultan of Brunei.)

Carlos Slim does have the coolest name of any superrich dude, though. It makes it sound like he made his money pimpin'.

Same diff. you ever known anyone that used a telecom and wasn't paying to get screwed?

That video was a trip down memory lane. Though I am a Mac man at heart, I have dealt with almost all of the system revisions shown. I had Windows 3.1 on my work machine, but stuck with DOS until Windows 95 came out.

The video mentioned it, but when they got to Windows 2000 they were jumping onto a different bandwagon, but the one that has led to the present.

Microsoft hired Digital Equipment Corporation to write Windows NT so they would have a reliable enterprise-level operating system. Windows 2000 was Windows NT 5.0, XP was 5.1, Vista was 6.0 and Windows 7 is 6.1.

I still have nightmares about Windows ME. I maintained my boss' kids' machines, which were bought with Windows ME pre-installed. Problem after problem after problem. I finally talked him into letting me upgrade them to Windows 2000. End of problems!

sburchett":dj71i1iy said:
Microsoft hired Digital Equipment Corporation to write Windows NT so they would have a reliable enterprise-level operating system. Windows 2000 was Windows NT 5.0, XP was 5.1, Vista was 6.0 and Windows 7 is 6.1
As my father (15+ years at DEC) will tell you, even after Digital's many tactical errors in the 80s, what really undid them was the paltry settlement they took from MS for NT. Poor DEC--if you're reading this right now anywhere in the world, you're probably using three separate technologies they built, but their name is all but gone. The Nikola Tesla of the commercial computing industry.