E Pipe/E Cig

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nauticalwheeler

Reaction score
I bought a hand held vaporizer online, and was wondering if anybody else had tried one? Just so you all know I am NOT trying to replace my pipe. I just thought that this would be a way to enjoy a smoke inside when it is cold or at my desk at work. Do you think that this could serve as an alternative when it in impractical to light up a pipe?

Sorry man, not to ruin your moment of glory, so I preface my following statement with an apology. I tried to quit smoking cigarettes with several different "e-cigs". It's nothing like a real smoke, similar I suppose, but utterly flavorless and disappointing. On a positive side, I do anticipate it making you appreciate your beloved pipes that much more. Honestly I would suggest you try to find a nice aromatic mixture to smoke inside, maybe a compromise, or even an air purifier (I run the high end filtrete filters for my home air handler). I have not personally tried an e-pipe but i know they take the same oil/cartridges as the e-cig. It's nicotine laced flavored steam, which moisture is not a thing that many pipe smokers seek out. I hope I'm wrong and you truly enjoy your new addition, especially since the cold weather is coming. Best of luck to you and yours.

I am a fan of e-cigs, myself, and have written a couple of detailed reviews of my experiences with them for my pipe blog. They're a very different experience, and depend a lot on your choice of brands, flavors, etc. I cannot recommend any of the epipes on the market now, except for a company called epipemods. Most of the popular epipes have the atomizer built into the bowl and thus you must discard the bowl each month as you go through atomizers, a disposable part! To the cig smokers used to spending $300/month on cartons, this may seem a small price, but to a pipe guy, the idea of having to buy a replacement $45 bowl/atomizer combo every month is downright horrifying.

Thus far, my best experience has been with a Janty e-cig, and I have a friend who loves his Volcano. The flavored aromatic blends are good, and usually the best flavors available. This is weird to a pipe guy, accustomed to avoiding heavily sauced aromatics, but with e-cigs I've found that I enjoy much more the blends like "Chocolate caramel doughnut" than most of the tobacco-flavored blends I've tried, which are often really mild and dull. One exception has been London mix, by Want2Vape, which is a nice substitute for a pipe tobacco.

There is a lot of resistance in the pipe community to e-cigs, mostly of the "That newfangled techno stuff give me a REAL pipe", etc, but really, it's just another type of smoking and there to be enjoyed on its own different merits. If I'm sitting down to read, I want my pipe. If I'm walking and want to sit by the lake for 5 minutes, I take an e-cig that I can stick in my shirt pocket without getting tobacco everywhere. I like them for their convenience.

If you are curious, here are the links to the two articles I wrote on the subject:

http://talbertpipes.blogspot.com/2010/10/that-e-smoke-thing.html
http://talbertpipes.blogspot.com/2011/09/e-smokes-revisited.html

Google ECF ecig forum. Join. Ask a few questions.

I have a
Totally Wicked Titan T
Volcano Lava Tube
Chuck by Thagbuilt
Mini Copper
Reo Mini
Reo Grand.

I haven't touched a cig since Dec 19. I'm struggling to Refind my pipe tongue.
I did enjoy a MyUziWeighsATon yesterday though.

There is every flavor under the sun, in various strengths, with different vaping qualities.
One thing I haven't found is anything that taste like tobacco blends. Digitalcigs Perique is spot on, but not a blend.. I've suggested they make a Va/Per but they haven't yet. They use actual tobacco extract for their juices.
Most 'tobacco' blends taste like unlit tobacco smells.

Vaper doesn't feel wet, and it is almost nothing like pipe smoking. You get flavors, and you can find some juices that are semi meaty (go heavy on VG) but its a different experience.

Trevor, Jaunty isn't going to be the Dunhill of the PV world (personal vaporizer is a better name than ecig). They've already been left behind.
Look at the Golden Greek (the US Distributor is Clounds of Vaper), the Darwin, the Provari, the Reo. I won't even go so far as to call these the Dunhill's yet. The market is expanding, growing, improving and at an insane rate.

Funny, I just bought an e-cig for my wife. I quit smoking cigarettes a year ago (thanks to snus, which I'm almost completely off of - I know, I know, I traded one bad habit for another but at least I can breathe again and it's been much easier for me to cut back on the snus than it was the cigarettes) and she's been bored having to go outside by herself to smoke. We made a pact not to smoke indoors or in the car, so she's left to suffer by herself...

She tried a disposable e-cig a few months back and hated it, so after doing some research I bought her a Joye 510 with the manual battery (or whatever they call it). This seems like a much better product overall and I love that it's refillable.

1. Because it heats up the vaper a little more she says it feels more like inhaling real smoke; that's a plus since the she isn't losing the physical sensation of smoking
2. Although there is a difference between puffing on a cigarette and drawing longer and less often on the e-cig, it's at least habitually the same idea so she hasn't had to "change" anything in that regard
3. She isn't entirely happy with the taste of the Marlboro-ish liquid I bought (she said it isn't terrible but it's nothing like a real tobacco flavor), but she hasn't decided yet what type of flavoring she'd like. But the nicotine itself - 18mg if I'm not mistaken - is enough for her cravings; that's a plus for the physiological aspect

I'm hoping she stays with it. I only bought her two full e-cigs because I didn't want to get her a $200 rig if she wouldn't enjoy it, but if this works out (and I think it will) I'm going to get her a few more so that she always has one ready to go.

As for the e-pipes, I agree with TreverT - the price is outrageous. Plus, I hate to say it but one of my favorite parts of pipe smoking is the ritual of setting everything up - drying the tobacco, rubbing out the tobacco, loading the pipe, etc. With the e-pipe, what do you have? The ritual of installing the battery every time? Not nearly as cool, I say.

After looking at the dates and reading you second blog post.
I humbly back up. Lol.
Bring on the Talbert EPipe ( but make sure it has a 510 fitting)

puros_bran":42o2ibzu said:
I humbly back up. Lol.
I just read the second blog post, too, and the second to last paragraph - specifically the last sentence - is a thing of beauty.

puros_bran":0qdq6vcm said:
I humbly back up. Lol.
Yeah, that's what I'm building the design around, the 510. Whether anything will come of it remains to be seen. The goal is a genuinely beautiful epipe that will last forever, with easily sourced replaceable parts for the stuff that wears out with use. It's going to be quite low tech, really, compared to some of the programmable jobs that I've seen.

For a pipe blend, google for Vapenstein London blend and give that a try and see what you think. It's about the closest I've found so far to pipe tobacco - It's made from natural tobacco and more of the flavor translates through to the vapor than usual.

I will look that up.

Programmable srogrammable...lol My favorite is my Reo Grand and it doesn't get anymore low tech.
But with the advent of "The Kick" you can make the low tech do the same as the high tech stuff. Might be worth looking into if your wanting to go that route. If you use the bowl to house the battery you could probably wire it right in there. You give up some run time for the ability to 'tune' your vape though. With AW IMR batts and Low Resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers I don't see the need for the variable voltage, LED screens etc etc but some guys swear by it.
I'll go a step further. theres no need to use briar, your not actually setting fire to anything. A whole slew of possibilities open up and theres probable a market for some exotic hardwood epipes.. just saying 8)

Hey, TreverT, thanks for the pointer on the London liquid. Just got some and it's excellent!