Finally made the switch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

Reaction score
After years of being only marginally pleased with shaving with a modern razor, and being completely dissatified with the cost of refills, I finally ordered a DE razor (Merkur HD 34c). I got my hands on a cheap (badger hair) shaving brush and some Willams Mug Shaving Soap. I did a lot of reading and with great anticipation, endeavored my first shave. I was disappointed to say the least (as well as cut all to hell). Determined not to give up, I decided to really take my time and pay very close attention to what I was doing. The payoff was incredible. I realized that switching to this setup meant that I almost had to relearn shaving. I also realized that to get a close (somewhat) from my old razor, I had to bear down on it. Doing this with my DE just got me cut up pretty bad. I took my time and let the weight of the razor do the work and things went well. I now intend to experiment with different shaving soaps (got my eye on a nice Truefitt and Hill soap) and perhaps purchase a better brush.

DE shaving is quite rewarding I think. It does take time and you do have to "re-learn" how to shave. I have been wanting to try the T&H soap as well. I just have too many soaps as it is. . . I think I have 10 or 11 different soaps right now. . .

tbone2":d31mpb2r said:
DE shaving is quite rewarding I think. It does take time and you do have to "re-learn" how to shave. I have been wanting to try the T&H soap as well. I just have too many soaps as it is. . . I think I have 10 or 11 different soaps right now. . .
Ahh...the classic signs of SAD. :cry:

Buckshot":jkllobbh said:
tbone2":jkllobbh said:
Ahh...the classic signs of SAD. :cry:
SAD does make my budget sad. . . :cry:

tbone2":4mxipmmh said:
Is the proper smoke accompanying this activity a Lakeland?