First Christmas Pipe in a number of years....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
I was rummaging around and I found a part tin of Christmas Cheer from 2006. I had not smoked a pipe in at least 2-3 years so I decided to have a small bowl.

First thing I noticed is the ketchup smell is all but gone, you really have to try and detect it.

Packed 3 healthy pinches in a Ferndown cherrywood and lit up. After the charring light and packing down the fluff, I got a proper burn going.

I don't remember this particular CC but was not as citrus as I was expecting. Good solid, barely sweet Va. Almost a perique-like twang to it. Even after 3 years my tongue did not notice any burn or tingle.

It was a short smoke but very nice. Once the bowl warmed up the smoke settled into a pleasant experience.

I also found a tin of Blackwoods so I may give another bowl a try tomorrow. Maybe I will get back to it.

Interesting. I opened a tin of '02 CC just yesterday (Christmas Day) which is a tradition I've been following for years (not always that old, but my oldest tin whatever it is). The vinegar/ketchup thing was much in evidence.

I've had several bowls now and it's quite nice, perhaps not quite as sweet as I recall, but satisfying nonetheless.

Cheers,

RR

Probably because mine was open, probably for a number of years. I usually bought about half a dozen tins each year at Christmas, for maybe 8-10 years or so. Very few have been smoked so I have quite a stash to work through if I ever start up with the pipe again.

I didn’t smoke a pipe yesterday, opting to smoke a cigar… didn’t want it fouling up my tupperdor.

I have some McC Va in mason jars, and the last time I checked one (a blend from 4 Noggins called Prairie Wind) it had a strong ketchup/vinegar thing. I almost cried.

I have been smoking on a tin of Christmas Cheer 2007. Quite dry. But the magic happens once I get it lit. I pack this very tight. Initially it hits you with a spicy tingle and then transitions to a nice sweet sort of smoke.

I didn’t smoke a pipe yesterday, opting to smoke a cigar… didn’t want it fouling up my tupperdor.

I have some McC Va in mason jars, and the last time I checked one (a blend from 4 Noggins called Prairie Wind) it had a strong ketchup/vinegar thing. I almost cried.
I have never found the ketchup smell to negatively affect the taste. It certainly affects the nose out of the tin but it became a friendly reminder that a great experience was about to happen.

I have a bunch of jars of 5100/5105 blend that I put up maybe 10 years ago. I will dig them out and crack one to see how the aroma has evolved.

Funny, this Christmas Cheery thread. I've been working on a tin of 2007 for about a month. Great smoke. Still a little of the catsup, but not annoying at all. Great smoke out on the deck if I can stand the cold. Today, I am in luck it's 60.

I have never found the ketchup smell to negatively affect the taste. It certainly affects the nose out of the tin but it became a friendly reminder that a great experience was about to happen.

I have a bunch of jars of 5100/5105 blend that I put up maybe 10 years ago. I will dig them out and crack one to see how the aroma has evolved.
I love/d the ketchup. My emotional response to it had more to do with the limited supply and the surprise that particular blend had some of it. :)

Funny, this Christmas Cheery thread. I've been working on a tin of 2007 for about a month. Great smoke. Still a little of the catsup, but not annoying at all. Great smoke out on the deck if I can stand the cold. Today, I am in luck it's 60.
It’s in the upper 20s today. That might be a little cold for me!

I love/d the ketchup. My emotional response to it had more to do with the limited supply and the surprise that particular blend had some of it. :)
Gotcha, and yes, I get that. Especially now that it is gone. I live in KC and the local tobacco shop had a direct line to McC, bulk was silly cheap back in the day and they kept the popular blends in big metal trash cans lined with plastic.

I've been working my way through a tin of CC since 2017, a 2017 release at that, and it still has that wonderful BBQ aroma (I don't smoke Virginias very often). I swear that there is perique in there somewhere due to the spiceiness of the smoke. This year it was a little sweeter than I remembered it being in previous xmas smokes.

Got a few tins of the Anniversary edition put away too, I am looking forward to them once I get through the rest of my open VA blends.