First go with Latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just tried my first blend in which latakia had a strong presence, and I have to say, I loved it.
It was a blend that my local "tobacconist" (as they are referred to in The Ultimate Pipe Book) recommended when I told him what I was looking for, and I am really pleased with it. It is called HMS Victory, but as far as I know it's just a blend the local shop offers.
I wish I knew how to describe the taste... Spicy, smokey, excellent.
Just wanted to share my first experience with a latakia blend, and how excited I am to give some other latakias a go!

A good number of tobacconists simply rename bulk Lane and Stokkebye blends - if you press them they may tell you the true blend name...

I was thinking of asking, but I didn't know if that would be considered rude...
I would definitely like more information on the tobaccos I've been buying though.

I think it's a safe question - with a 50/50 chance of an answer :)

They are prepared to dodge the answer if they desire...

Perhaps we can get a bead on what it is - can you describe the tobacco - is it very ribbonlike or pressed into flakes or a crumble cake? small bits or big bits? light colored bits? all dark?

Usually they pick a name that reminds them which blend it is - so that will give us an edge as well :)