Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe

• Thread starter Deleted member 4028
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 4028

So, I have a pipe that has a nickel band and it was incorrectly glued on as, when I was rubbing the band with a cloth, I felt it come off.
It was simply glued on without the shank being narrowed down to fit it. Can I use simply some Gorilla glue for wood or is there a specific glue to use?

Thanks, gents. :D

Hmm, most of my bands are not glued they seem to be just friction fitted. I don't see why gorilla (or super glue or epoxy or whatever) wouldn't work.

Davy Jones":p3g1t9k4 said:
So, I have a pipe that has a nickel band and it was incorrectly glued on as, when I was rubbing the band with a cloth, I felt it come off.
It was simply glued on without the shank being narrowed down to fit it. Can I use simply some Gorilla glue for wood or is there a specific glue to use?

Use very little glue if you do that. Don't get any glue on the finish of the pipe. It could ruin it. Don't ask me how I know! :shock:

Corncobcon":vccwcnqv said:
Davy Jones":vccwcnqv said:

Use very little glue if you do that.  Don't get any glue on the finish of the pipe. It could ruin it.   Don't ask me how I know! :shock:
I did put some Gorilla glue on the band, so it will be in contact with the briar. I was careful not to put too much so that it would spread all over the shank outside of the band.
Fingers crossed, I guess. :)
And sorry for what happened to yours, mate.

I've fixed some of those old cobs bands with contractor wood glue. Gorilla glue expands, and that can have adverse effects. All of my cob mods I band with various metals I still use the same stuff. 'Tight-bond' exterior glue. Works great, water clean up.

Ozark Wizard":x9b25ac1 said:
I've fixed some of those old cobs bands with contractor wood glue. Gorilla glue expands, and that can have adverse effects. All of my cob mods I band with various metals I still use the same stuff. 'Tight-bond' exterior glue. Works great, water clean up.
Bloody Hell! :shock:
Too late, I already put some on the band. :affraid:

On a band the gorilla glue should be ok but if you ever glue anything that could come in contact with the smoke in anyway you are better off using either Tightbond or good old Elmer's glue as they are considered food safe. No point risking your health by breathing in chemicals that might kill or cause cancer.

Jim