Google Chrome

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Max

Reaction score
I use Firefox and I love it. When chrome first came out I tried it but didn't see a real need to change so I forgot about it. Then, being in the technology field, I felt I should really give it a go so I tried it again. I find it to be clunky and ugly and not anywhere near the hype that google gives it. I really like my Fast Dial in Firefox and chrome doesn't have that, just a most visited page which I find inaccurate and annoying.

I really, really don't like Chrome and I don't feel that way about other Google products. I use Google Docs for all of my documents and spreadsheets so I can always get to them. I don't use Microsoft Office for anything really except maybe a PowerPoint Presentation.

Does anyone have some good reports about Chrome?

I use Chrome all the time, I love it. But I may have different needs then you...I also use the docs, gmail and I use google sites to host my bands website, 10 bucks a year. I'm a fan.

It came on my new laptop. I tried it and almost immediately download Firefox. With all my favorite ad-ons. Then I tried SimplyMEPIS Linux and I need to sort out a couple things before I set it up as a dual-boot.

Chrome does have the advantage of being much more secure than any other standard browser due to the way they sandbox applications. It's been the only stock browser not to fall at CanSecWest for the past few years.

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/google-chrome-pwns-all-at-cansecwest

Also, Chrome is quite the new comer to the browser arena and has been from it's inception built on a different concept. Not just being a browser but being built around the idea of cloud computing. Being the main operating space in which you conduct all your computing activities.

With the launch of the app store I think you will find much more functionality with it in the coming years.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore

Basically it's being built to suit the future of computing. Not old technology that is being adapted to work in future technologies.

Fanboy will next tell us that Safari didn't descend from Gods right hand and if he's feeling real blasphemous he'll try to tell us Steve Jobs shit stinks.

1<3St3v3

How can you Don't be evil when you are stealing not only iAir but also the low level I/O respiratory function patented by Apple?

1<3St3v3

I won't deny being a Google fanboy at all but I'm not one to say they are better than any other tech giant when it comes to the patent game.

I actually use Firefox as my standard browser for everyday surfing and I have to use Internet Explorer for work on a lot of things due to integrated authentication. I was just saying there are merits to Chrome and commenting on my opinion as to what it will become in the future. :p

Apple is innovation. Apple is the future..
Everyone else is thieves.

1<3St3v3.

(Low level I/O. Hehhe, I kill me)

Well, JH, based on that I think I'll keep it as a secondary browser and try to use it as the all-in-one you suggest. I'll keep it to see how to use it to its intended functionality and report back. I like firefox because of Fast Dial and because it is easy to use. Chrome needs a user manual.

BlueMax:

http://lifehacker.com/#!5045904/the-power-users-guide-to-google-chrome

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

I have been using Google Apps for several years with my domains also. I use GMail, Docs, Picasa, etc.

My wife uses Chrome a lot. I do from time to time.

Being a programming/web development student I tend to test all of my web pages in every browser I can (except for IE - I refuse to care).

Yes. Chrome's sandboxing is more secure. Yes, it will likely end up being the new best model.

No. I don't really like the interface.

The main reason I still use Firefox is because of the add-ons.

I use Email This!, Video Download Helper, GreaseMonkey and a few others religiously.

Honestly, as long as it ain't Internet Exploder it's all good.

I like Opera a lot too. I use it on my mobile devices and the Sync is nice.

Is it still cool to hate M$?

But.. And seriously.. Why would you automatically and intentionally abandon customers.
As much ad I make fun of certain systems I would still attempt to take advantage of their customer base.

You mean you guys aren't running Netscape Navigator. :scratch: Perhaps I should look at upgrading.

Seriously though, I'm still using Firefox for most of my machines. Except the MacPro which I use Safari out of principle. I don't dislike Chrome I just didn't like it enough to change. I still find Firefox to have the best interface for my taste.

Tried Chrome and really disliked the interface, way too clunky for my taste. Firefox I can use after I download a bunch of addons, though to be honest I find IE works as well or better in most cases than either. Mostly because still to this day the vast majority of websites are written for IE and as such display better on it than any other browser out there.

I had actually considered an Apple at some point until Jobs came out complaining that Adobe Flash was too proprietary :lol!:

Yeah, I almost fell off my chair when I heard that.

puros_bran":bckezid2 said:
Is it still cool to hate M$?
It is still very cool to hate M$!

I typically use Linux, myself. If I had money to blow I'd use something with another Unix-clone OS...like OSX... ;)

Vercer":752j8n7v said:
I had actually considered an Apple at some point until Jobs came out complaining that Adobe Flash was too proprietary :lol!:
Jobs will, unfortunately, kill Apple with his arrogance.

One of my pals was chosen to beta the standalone Google Chrome netbook... lean and mean, for better and for worse (all non-firmware is cloud storage only, though the hack around that will come about 30 seconds after it hits the commercial maket.)

Chrome on my Mac is fine... I just have an irrational hatred of the look of the faux tab-top interface.

I've used Chromium on Linux (the open-source, Linux version of the browser) and played around with some ChromiumOS images in a virtual machine.

Google is on-target with their direction, I think. The cloud is where everything is headed as we become increasingly more mobile.

Carlos":j3tteg06 said:
It came on my new laptop. I tried it and almost immediately download Firefox. With all my favorite ad-ons. Then I tried SimplyMEPIS Linux and I need to sort out a couple things before I set it up as a dual-boot.
I dual-boot all of my pc's Win7/Ubuntu.

How do you like Mepis?

I like having more that one browser because of a virus problem may years ago.
Firefox was slow on my pc and consumed lots of memory.
I liked Opera but it didn't work on some sites.
I have been using Chrome and am quite happy.

tweaksource":qk6lsfpv said:
Carlos":qk6lsfpv said:
I dual-boot all of my pc's Win7/Ubuntu.

How do you like Mepis?

I have used Mepis as my main home OS since 2003. Think of it as a tweaked Kubuntu. Firefox pretty much looks and runs the same on all my systems. Locations differ on the preferences/options, but it's nearly identical. Ran Ice Weasel for a time. Just a variant of Firefox.