Granada's Watson: David Burke or Edward Hardwick

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinP

Reaction score
Who do you prefer? Burke, who played Watson in the first series, or Hardwick or played him thereafter?

And does anybody know the reason behind the change? I'm sure if there had been an internet at the time, it would be well-known, but since there wasn't, I've never heard.

KevinP":s4skql43 said:
Who do you prefer? Burke, who played Watson in the first series, or Hardwick or played him thereafter?

And does anybody know the reason behind the change? I'm sure if there had been an internet at the time, it would be well-known, but since there wasn't, I've never heard.
It's really hard to choose and while I absolutely love Edward Hardwicke (RIP), I would have to go with David Burke. I am a big fan of that first season in general, but I really enjoyed his work in Scandal In Bohemia and The Blue Carbuncle. It is kind of funny how his last episode was The Final Problem, and then Hardwicke took over in the sequel (The Empty House). In the bonus disc on The Complete Grenada Series Box Set, Hardwicke is asked about Burke's departure in an interview. It seems that the two of them were friends and when Burke decided to leave the show to pursue other roles, he recommended Hardwicke to the producers. Highly recommend the box set by the way. All the episodes and a lot of great bonus features!

-Scott

I like both actors. I think David made for a more informal Dr Watson. I will also admit for a short time I did not even notice a different person in the role.

Aargh. I just bought the UK version of the complete set, which has no extras while the US version does. I would have bought that one if I had known.

Really enjoying the set again after not seeing it for many years. Most of the stories I used to have on VHS and knew very well, but some, especially the later ones, I've never seen.

To answer the question, I prefer Hardwick, but there's nothing lacking in Burke's interpretation. He brought out the 'lady's man' side quite well.

KevinP":5hxuy5w3 said:
Aargh. I just bought the UK version of the complete set, which has no extras while the US version does. I would have bought that one if I had known.

Really enjoying the set again after not seeing it for many years. Most of the stories I used to have on VHS and knew very well, but some, especially the later ones, I've never seen.

To answer the question, I prefer Hardwick, but there's nothing lacking in Burke's interpretation. He brought out the 'lady's man' side quite well.
Watched "The Solitary Cyclist" episode today for the first time in ages and really enjoyed Burke's work in that particular episode. Couldn't help but chuckle when Holmes admonished Watson for not doing a good job with his detective work after coming back from Surrey the first time. The subtle humor between them is something that didn't quite come out as well in the "Canon", yet based on clues in the original stories, you knew it was definitely there! Really a great episode and reaffirmed for me why the Season 1 episodes are always my favorites.

Hardwicke, definitely!!!! May he rest in peace; he passed away recently.

I just ordered the Complete Grenada Series Box Set from Amazon. Looking forward to it.

Lestrade":518bp6u1 said:
I just ordered the Complete Grenada Series Box Set from Amazon. Looking forward to it.
I ordered it a few years ago and it was one of the best DVD investments I have ever made. I had about half the episodes saved on my DVR that I had recorded off my Public Television station and was beginning to run out of room, so I bought it out of necessity. It is definitely nice to have every episode available whenever you get the hankering to watch a particular one. The extras are also very nice to watch. Not to get off topic, but I also picked up a box set of A&E's Nero Wolfe TV series that aired in the early 2000's. It starred Maurice Chaykin as Nero Wolfe and Timothy Hutton as Archie Goodwin. Definitely another great literary detective series that translated well to television! Enjoy your box set when you get it!

-Scott