Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thought I'd share this with the group here as I'm quite happy with the way this repair came out and I figure I can't be the first or last piper to run into this issue.

I was faced with repairing the mortise in a horn shank extension on this RegD No Stanwell Brazilia. I don't know if Stanwell sent it out from the factory with any sort of mortise insert; when I received the pipe the mortise was completely shot. The bore through the horn shank was ragged, jagged and worn out. The stem stayed put through the dubious virtues of about a half ton of tars and crap in the mortise. As you can see in the pic, the horn shank was also cracked.

Mortise As Found

30438569985_3ba8e77c42.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 281px

I decided to drill out the damaged material and glue in a section of brass tubing to reinforce the horn and provide a stable mortise for the stem to sit in. After a bit of tweaking the pipe fits together very nicely!

Mortise with Brass Insert

30476873461_869df99fec.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 281px

29806372103_a90db7d060.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 281px

You can check out the entire restoration here on my blog.

Thanks for looking!

That's a terrific repair job, very impressive and may I offer, better than new?

Stick":td5x7bu1 said:
That's a terrific repair job,  very impressive and may I offer, better than new?
Cheers, Stick! And you may be correct. Clearly the factory mortise insert, assuming there was one, was insufficient. The new brass insert should last much longer.

Brewdude":9x7aeoxr said:
Very impressive restoration Charles. You've clearly a lot of time in that one and it shows!

8)

Cheers,

RR
Thanks Rande. This one certainly had its finicky moments! I was worried the cracked horn might disintegrate in the drill press but it survived my ham-handed treatment and came out the other end just fine. ?

Looks like you did your usual stellar job mate! Very nice save by the way. Love a nice accent piece like that on a bigger pipe for sure.

Jim

I hear you on the worries of blowing the horn material to bits. That was a hell of a crack. The brass insert is an excellent idea too. If I didn't thread my stems in I would definitely apply that feature.

Well done on the restoration!

:cheers:

It looks to be a very fine job. Well done! :)

AJ

Thanks, gents! I've got at least one other pipe in the refurb box with a blown mortise like this. I'm keeping the brass tube handy for that one. :D