How Important are the Details?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Neil

Reaction score
Should I be transferring my humidor upstairs during the winter (warmer) and downstairs during the summer (cooler)?

At the moment I have my humidor with my pipe tobacco under the stairs where it is a constant 62-65 degrees during the winter. During the summer it is around 68 - 72 degrees. Upstairs during the winter is maintained at 68 - 70 degrees but during the Summer rising to 75 on the rare occasion.

I like under the stairs because it is cooler and not exposed to any sun, and don't feel like moving it around if I don't have too. But I know ideal climate for cigars is 70%/70F.

What do you think, just leave them in the basement, or transfer them as necessary to keep it closer to 70F at all times?

BTW, humidity is not a problem, and the temperature fluctuations are very gradual (joys of Northern climate and weak roof insulation).

We keep ours in the living room which is usually between 69-73 depending on the time of year. My husband has found that at those temps his cigars smoke better right around 66%. Get yourself a digital hygrometer that has a thermometer in it as well (I think Xikar makes one). Just keep your humidity where you like it and those temps shouldn't be a big deal.

Temperatures can affect cigars. At temps above 70-75 degrees tobacco beetles can hatch. I also prefer 65 percent humidity. Mold is a problem when too humid.

cigarsarge":fn1bxoqv said:
Temperatures can affect cigars. At temps above 70-75 degrees tobacco beetles can hatch. I also prefer 65 percent humidity. Mold is a problem when too humid.
any problem with 65% humidity staying maintained while the temps fluctuate a bit though? my house is usually in the low to mid 60s but sometimes gets in the low 70s when the heat is on. gradual of course. excluding beetles, any issues?

No problems at all. Beetles (from what I have read) really don't become a problem until you get over 75 degrees. As long as you don't have your humidor sitting right over an open vent I would think the heat kicking on won't be a problem (it hasn't been for us in the past few years he has been collecting cigars). He does have a digital doohicky on his humidification system that turns it on and off as needed.

Northern Neil":mtso74j9 said:
What do you think, just leave them in the basement, or transfer
them as necessary to keep it closer to 70F at all times?
Leave them in the basement and don't get too concerned about the slight variation in temperature ... the humidity level is the greater concern ...

Thanks for the replies. I'm not overly concerned about tobacco beetle as all my cigars have been delivered this winter, and have sat out side for at least a couple of hours in freezing temperatures. If I understand it correctly, freezing tempuratures kill the beetle egg.
SteveS, I think I'm going to follow your advise and just leave them where they are.

Northern Neil":zmt4crws said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not overly concerned about tobacco beetle as all my cigars have been delivered this winter, and have sat out side for at least a couple of hours in freezing temperatures. If I understand it correctly, freezing tempuratures kill the beetle egg.
SteveS, I think I'm going to follow your advise and just leave them where they are.
general consensus is three days in a freezer i think. there is a chart for time based on temp that i found:
5c (41f) requires ~12 days (275 hours)
0c (32f) requires ~9 days (220 hours)
-5c (23f) requires ~4 days (100 hours)
-10c (14f) requires less than 24 hours
-15c (5f) requires less than 24 hours
-20c (-4f) requires less than 24 hours

somedumbjerk":d5yco899 said:
Northern Neil":d5yco899 said:
general consensus is three days in a freezer i think. there is a chart for time based on temp that i found:
5c (41f) requires ~12 days (275 hours)
0c (32f) requires ~9 days (220 hours)
-5c (23f) requires ~4 days (100 hours)
-10c (14f) requires less than 24 hours
-15c (5f) requires less than 24 hours
-20c (-4f) requires less than 24 hours
Really, well so much for my theory of the cold weather killing them hahaha. Thanks for the list, that will be very helpful if I ever have to dceal with an infestation.

alfredo_buscatti":hub5tbwe said:
Overkill. Systems account for variation.
Overkill?

My cigars cost $5 a stick and up. Thus it pays to take care of them. I figure, if you know what you're doing, it pays to make the risk factor work for you.

Dick stepping -- even one cigar with beetle eggs -- can really ruin my day and my cigars.

But hey, if the Alfred E. Newman approach works for you, go for it 8) 

roth,

Your use of obscenity in one reference and the derisive comment in another makes me feel that both your post and you are not to be taken seriously.

When I made my remark about systems being self-correcting I was referencing the following thread on Cigar Asylum. As you know those best positioned to make remarks from experience are those who have it, and thus from this universally valid viewpoint such judgment excludes both you and I:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36277&highlight=fixing+humidor+seal

Please dissuade me from ignoring you, though that will be hard to do as you post so often. My best guess about you is that you are socially impaired as you would appear to be substituting digital interaction for that in the real world. However I do see experience in your remarks and would prefer in the future that you limit your reactions to me to remarks from that realm.

But I will freely admit that sometimes I post as if I know everything, and as so far no deity has conferred omniscience upon me, assuming that as true in my posts is not helpful for anyone. I would be pleased if you overlooked this; but I do have redeeming qualities:).

Alfredo, just so you know, my first post about freezing cigars, while admittedly may well be considered overkill for some, has worked will for me for decades, I didn't feel my comment was dericive, and believe the link I provided regarding the freezing process can be useful for some.

In my second post, to be clear, I was referring to myself, admittedly OCD, because I know that with my luck, if I decided to side-step and not freeze a batch of cigars, one or more of those sticks will have a bettle problem LOL.

The Alfred E. Newman reference, of course, was a poke in jest and I agree with you that it should not be taken seriously ;)

My guess, is "Dick-Stepping" was supposed to be "Side-Stepping" and that has caused confusion.

I agree with Mike, on this one. I think that we tend to over think these things. I use beads and watch my humidity. I don't worry about relatively minor swings in temp, or Rh. I don't bother freezing, but I understand why some do (with CC that is, absolutely no need to do so with anything else, IMHO).

If I had a true basement, I'd store my tobacco there since your ambient temp is going to vary less. Aside from that, I think a cooler room in your house would be just fine. I agree with Scottie here, you should invest in a digital hygrometer that measures both temp and humidity. However, I pay way more attention to the latter of the two variables.

Regarding maintenance, my views echo those of Mike and Dave. But then again, I don't have a smash-up collection of expensive fine aged cigars. If I did I probably be a bit more cautious.

All said, I keep my house at 68-70 in the winter and at 78 in the summer. I have never had an issue with beetles, and my humidor is kept in a dark closet in our spare bedroom.

Beetles are safe to smoke and a little more protein in your diet never hurts. :lol!: If they got into my snuff I be a bit more concerned. :affraid: 

roth, sorry to jump the gun with your post. I only read the word "overkill," then saw the sexual reference, and was taken aback. I was trying not to say anything about that but then read your reply again just to make sure I had my facts right, but then the AE Neuman got me and I felt I had to respond.

Your response was kind and told me what you had meant to say. Again, I apologize.

cigarasylum continues to be my source of education. Getting the right humidity can be tricky, especially when seasoning a new humidor. Basically what I've been told is that if you're having problems, start over. Remove everything to a temporary Tupperdore and put a sponge saturated with distilled water into it. For small and medium humidors you want it to season for at least 14 days. When I seasoned I just did 10.

I plan to keep adding water until the humidity stabilizes and then season for another week on top of that, making sure I've added enough water to bring the wood to a saturation point, and go beyond that, just to be sure.