How to post pictures on the forums - for jazzman34653

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougc905

Reaction score
jazzman34653 was trying to post a pic in The Perfect Straightgrain forum and couldn't. Claimed it didn't work because of his OS. I typed this up in response and directed him here.

Posting pictures shouldn't have anything to do with what OS you are using. You have to host the picture online, not on your computer.

You should have online filespace available through your internet provider. This is usually advertised as being space for hosting a web page but it doesn't have to be used that way. You just upload your pictures there. Contact your ISP to find out how to upload files into your filespace.

So, here's a pic of a Ser Jacopo pipe that I own. The picture is actually stored on a server somewhere. Don't know where, but the url is this:

http://pages.ca.inter.net/~douglas.cope/Other/SerJac.jpg

To add this picture to this message, I added a TAG from the toolbar above the edit window while I was creating this message. The tool itself is the first on the left and on the bottom row.

So I clicked it, and pasted the url of the online picture into the resulting dialog.

SerJac.jpg

Viola! The picture appears in the message.

I use a Mac running OS X. The program that I personally use to upload pics to my filespace is called Transmit and is a shareware FTP utility. It costs something like $10.

You could also store your pictures at mac.com or on another service such as photobucket.com.

Hope this helped...

That's a couple ways to do it. But this site will also host the photo for you. Jason did a nice howto. It should not matter what the OS or browser is, as long as it's up to date.

When you click on the Host an Image icon it automatically creates a photo hosting account for you using your username and password for this site. I suppose it's possible that some browsers might not like the javascript wysiwyg editor so it might not work like it should. Haven't tested it with everything.

Hmm. Lets see....

[tries it...]

Nope. Didn't work. jazzman34653 is correct.

What happens when I try it is this:

I click Host an Image. The dialog opens.
I select the file that I want and click Host It. The next dialog opens.
I click copy beside the 2nd line as in your video. It highlights.
I copy using edit-copy.
I click Host an Image again to make the dialog go away, as in the video.
I try to paste using edit-paste but cannot, the choice is grey.

The service appears to be uploading images because the filename has a numeric postfix added to it which got incremented each time I tried attaching a file. So, somewhere, there are three more copies of my file.

(BTW, I'm using Firefox under Mac OSX 10.3.9)

It seems like everything is working except copy and paste then?

Seems that way, although copy&paste works on this machine for everything else.

jhuggett":k5bek4ce said:
When you click on the Host an Image icon it automatically creates a photo hosting account for you using your username and password for this site. I suppose it's possible that some browsers might not like the javascript wysiwyg editor so it might not work like it should. Haven't tested it with everything.
It may have to do with a filter. I cannot post or see pictures at work because picture-hosting sites are blocked.

jhuggett":58xfdlse said:
It seems like everything is working except copy and paste then?
I just use the hot keys to copy paste: Ctrl + C, and then Ctrl + V. The annoying part is the pop up box never goes away. So you have to click send with it still there.

Again, at work I get an error message saying that it can't find the address, but it's because of my filter.