I am jumping into the DE razor fun.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAEarl

Reaction score
Man this place is bad for me :p :p After reading these and other posts @ different shaving forums I decided to take a step back and pick up a DE razor. I have shaved with disposables for untold years getting mediocre at best shaves and before that electrics :roll: . I never bought the hype of the 3-5 blade razor and certainly couldn't get past the price of refill blades :roll:

I have been buying my Gillette disposables in bulk from the warehouse place but as I begun to run low and needing to buy more I began to think more and more of getting back to basics. Then I wander in here and begin to read of you fellers and your unfancy safety razors and thought why not look. I soon found the blades are cheap too, like me! The razor while they can be pricey it will last forever and can be replated for a nominal charge.

After looking around and reading a bit I settled onto the Gillette Super Speeds. I found and bid on a nice 40's model that had a case, vintage blades, ect but I got outbid, then found a nice '58 TV model w/ an affordable buy it now. So I did :) Now I have to get some blades. I read the reviews on shavemyface.com and found nicely priced blades that will do me well Sharks and Personnas.

5014109391_8dd46818f8.jpg

That is one of the ebay pics I should get it by the weekend, hopefully.

I make my own soap and use it currently to shave with and shampoo too. As it is homemade it has lots of natural glycerine so it helps keep my tender skin smoove lol. So I will try using that before I buy anything to shave with.
I am excited.

Kewl! I have picked up three DE razors, just need to get a brush, soap and some more blades and get started!

keep us posted on your progress!

Pete

I just got my Dad's old DE razor this month, and his Old Spice mug.

Very cool! I really enjoy the DE razor experience. I recommend a badger hair brush over a boar hair for creams but a boar is good for soaps. Walmart does sell a boar hair brush that comes with soap and I believe it is around 10 bucks including a little bowl. I don't shave very often this time of the year as I tend to grow a beard for winter but I still shave my neck. The Personna blades that Walmart sells aren't too bad either

Welcome aboard LAE, I agree that you just can't beat the old Gillette razor's. I have collected quite a few, in fact I have a 58' TV myself, a wonderful razor. I second Johnny's recommendation on a getting a good Badger brush, well worth the money.

58SuperSpeedTV.jpg

That is a beaut!

If you ever need any FEATHER of Japan products, I'm an authorized dealer.

I also run RazoRock.com if you ever want to try Alum.

Traditional wet shaving is pure pleasure, I'm glad to hear you dumped the disposables and went 'old school'.

Thanks for the tip on the Feathers, I hear they are some of the best. Right know I am using cheapo Winn-Dixie blades from Korea but they work well!

I couldn't wait for my '58 TV to arrive so when I picked up my tanshell I grabbed a 38-45 Tech Fat handle in great shape and only 2 small corrosion bits on the handle (5 bucks). I sanitized it in alcohol, buffed it up w/ baking soda, water rinse, and another alcohol dunk.

After using it this AM I am hooked :bom: My wife was amazed at the smooth shave and happy the blades are as cheap as they are.

The only downside is I have a slow growing beard so I don't have as much to shave as often as some :p