I learnt from that

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
There I was settling into a relaxing smoke in the garden dressed in a T shirt and my favourite shorts that were made by a my favourite outdoor gear manufacturer when things went a little awry. Charring light was gently tamped ready for the final light and I made the school boy error of offering the lighter to the bowl before igniting it. First I knew I messed up was a burning feeling near my gentleman's parts. Usually such discomfort can be sorted with a liberal application of 'special' cream from the clinic, but not this time. Glancing down I saw an ember smouldering on my lap; the gas igniting right over the bowl blew an ember out and onto my shorts which now sport a little black hole. Blithering idiot!

Anyone else had such luck?

As a teenaged delinquent I singed a brow rather badly while trying to light a weed pipe while walking to the bus stop. It was windy and the pipe short which required the lighter to be close to the face.

And as someone who has several pairs of very expensive outdoor shorts I feel your pain, just be glad no permanent damage to the bait and tackle.

My "smoking gear" bears many battle scars. As well as burned spots on my kitchen counter as well as other and sundry places.

Call it the result of the experience!

;)

Cheers,

RR

So far not from a pipe, but plenty of holey shirts from Cigar ash drops :roll:

I would be surprised if very many pipe smokers have not had this experience. :cyclops:

I too, have plenty of holey shirts and pants! But, the one idiotic thing I did was burn my index finger. I went to tamp the tobacco down in my pipe with my finger and didn't realize the tobacco was still burning! OUCH! :affraid:

Corncobcon":d7h34np0 said:
I too, have plenty of holey shirts and pants!  But, the one idiotic thing I did was burn my index finger.  I went to tamp the tobacco down in my pipe with my finger and didn't realize the tobacco was still burning!   OUCH! :affraid:
I've got just the thing for you Conrad. I've been using one for a number of years now and can highly recommend it...

https://www.4noggins.com/search.aspx?find=czech+tool

...outstanding vfm too!

;)

Oh yes! There are a couple of blends that I only smoke if they are bone dry and I pack them very lose. I have done the same thing as you and blew out almost half the bowl all of which lit into a spectacular ball of flame. Luckily for me it was still cold here and I was wearing a heavy leather jacket and jeans. My beard however didn't fair so well. The comments from the peanut gallery were priceless though. Needless to say the aroma wasn't recieved well lol.

Jim

Oh my, yes, plenty of good over shirts have taken the brunt of overzealous flake loads that blossomed into volcanic overflow. That and laughing with my pipe still in my gob and puffing out bits of embers.

Then there was that time with my llama Thor and I trying to stomp out a pocket fire that resulted from me thinking the pipe was safe to put in, but apparently not.....

I think the worst is those acrylic pile overshirts that are soft, comfy and suited to layering in a wide range of temperatures. Mix them with a cube cut, especially in a breeze, and it looks like the original wearer must have been shot with a .22 semi-auto.

I have dropped lit pipes several times while driving. If the embers spill out you've got a problem maintaining a safe course as various fabrics and body parts start smouldering, one argument for having leather seats and an athletic cup. You can usually prevent this by using those rubber bit thingys, discovered after much time and miles.

Once I tossed a lit cigar butt out the passenger window. Thought it was down. The butt bounced off the glass onto my male passenger's dress shirt, burning a hole the same ring size as the cigar. We had been traveling on business, and he had just bought the shirt ten minutes before. The ensuing moments weren't pretty.

Most of my clothes have "burnt holes" from flying embers and I mostly use matches! True sign of a pipe smoker !! :twisted:

Like the others, I'm no stranger to burnt clothing, counters, furniture, etc.

Fortunately, I've managed to keep the damage away from the important plumbing.